Chapter 22: Surprises

James woke up early the next day.

Correction.

He wasn't really able to sleep well. His mind was travelling somewhere in neverland while the stupid brat kept snoring the whole night.

He cooked some pancakes for breakfast and went out their apartment. He's aiming for the gym. He needs to be fit. In a few days, they'll be back to Seoul PD.

James pushed the glass door of the gym and headed towards the treadmill.

''James!'' he heard someone call him as he started his pace on the machine.

''Oh, Ms. Sara. Good morning.'' he said, still keeping up his pace.

''Good morning! Hey, just call me Sara. We're friends now right?'' Sara settled herself to the treadmill next to James's.

James just looked ahead the glass wall and smiled.

''You went home early last night.''

''Yes???'' he asked her.

''I mean, I was there to watch your performance last night. I was trying to find you after the show but someone said you already went home with the creep... I mean...''

''You mean Samantha.'' he corrected her.

''Y-y-yes, sorry. You're pretty close, aren't you?''

''Not really. We're just in the same circle of friends.'' Do they really look close? He asked himself and shook his head. ''What made you say so?''

''Oh... Nothing... But some say she's awkward to people. But I don't think she is when it comes to you.'' Sara said as she stepped on the machine.

''She is awkward to everyone. And I am no exception to that. Why are you so interested?''

''Huh??? I... I... I just wanna make friends with her. I mean, she looks lonely. Doesn't she have a family?'' Sara asked him back.

''She does. But... I don't know either. Maybe she just likes it that way. I just hope people would stop judging her.''

Sara flinched at his words.

He said they're not close.

But obviously, he sympathizes with the girl.

''Oh. Yeah, right... Well... Thanks for the info James...”

James just nodded. ''What do you do? I mean what keeps you busy?'' he tried asking her.

''Well, me and my friend Crystal just finished Fashion Technology. I do freelance modelling along with her. As with designing...I'm really interested in it but I don't think I'm that good.''

Samantha's face came flashing in his mind. That one morning when he touched her sketchpad and she went berserk. She thought he'll judge her works. And that was the first time he saw her angry. A smile crept his face but he immediately reminded himself that the girl is a dangerous one. She’s just been the cause of his busted lip.

That crazy ahjumma, he thought.

But deep inside, he knew he was to blame. He initiated that insane closeness.

Was it her first? Impossible. She’s already 29. She should’ve been inlove before.

He shook his head when he remembered Samantha’s shocked face last night.

''Why are you smiling?''

''Ah... Nothing. Have more confidence Sara. So what if some people think you're not that good? Try trusting your talent, work hard, and eventually the rest will follow.''