Chapter 21: Ahjumma's Experiment

Thomas was about to loosen his grip from the railings, ready to jump down the ground when he saw Hwangssabu doing his rounds. He immediately crawled back up the balcony and lay flat on the floor.

''Aisht! Those brats are gonna get it from me! What the hell are these potato chips bags doing here? I'm going to feed these to their mouths! Arrrgh.'' Hwangssabu said as he picked up 3 empty bags of chips just below unit 12's balcony.

*MEOW.... MEOW....*

''Noo.... Shit! Shit!'' Thomas cursed silently as Dadoong went closer to him, trying to lick his face.

Hwangssabu looked up Samantha's balcony when he heard the cat's sound. ''Isn't that Dadoong? I thought he's missing?''

Hwangssabu then went to the station to call the guard on duty.

Thomas grabbed that chance to escape. He landed perfectly to the ground but Dadoong kept crying meows.

''Shhhh!'' Thomas looked up and put his index finger on his lips. ''Go back... Go back!''

Thomas was about to run away when he felt something hard in his zipped black leather jacket.

''Shit! The sketchpad!'' He looked around and when he's sure no one's coming yet, he threw it up towards the balcony with all his might and ran towards the dark area of the parking lot.

''There. Use the ladder. I really heard a cat.'' Hwangssabu ordered the guard.

''Yes, Ssabunim.'' the guard answered and immediately went his way up Samantha's balcony.

''Omo, it's really here! Aigoo, you naughty little cat! Samantha's been worrying about you!'' Dadoong hissed for a moment when the guard stepped on to the balcony floor.

''Ssabunim, should we take this with us? I think Samantha's not home yet.''

''Yes. Take him down with you. We'll just give it to Samantha when she comes home.''

******

''Sir, please, I don't wanna do this anymore!'' Thomas was literally crying his eyes out. He's been spying Samantha. He's been gathering information about her, as per Howard Yang's order. He got her sketchpad thinking the older man would be happy about it but what surprised them was when the cat followed him the other night.

''Sir, she's just adopted! The Parks found her in front of their gate and took her in! What makes you think she's your daughter?''

''SHUT UP!''

Thomas flinched seeing Howard's serious expression.

''I'm counting the years and it's exactly the same length of years since we parted ways.''

''What?''

Howard realized he just let his thoughts out. He looked away and tried to fix his composure.

''Tsccchhh. You're such a weak kid. I didn't expect you'd be like this. I'm very disappointed.'' Howard said as he crossed his arms.

''I'm sorry to disappoint you, Sir but I have a family that depends on me.... And---''

''What are you trying to say? That I don't?''

''No.... No... I mean... Sir, what if the girl or the people around her notice me? What's gonna happen to my job? To my family? What face am I going to show those 5 idiots? I should be a good example to them!''

''Okay, then let's make a deal, okay? This would be the last.''

Thomas stopped bawling and faced the older man.