Chapter 26: Changes

''We're here.''

''Brooke? We're here.''

''Brooke?'' Sebastian called for her for the nth time but still, the girl is still in a daze.

He looked away and rubbed his lips with his fingers. He knew it. Ever since Samantha walked out of the party and treated her coldly, Brooke acted like this. He just saw her a bit hopeful when James showed up. Brooke then started telling James everything that happened. Not in a detailed way, but Sebastian was able to make sure he listened carefully with every bit of story he can absorb.

He looked back at the girl.

Sebastian sighed and loosened his tie up a bit before starting the engine once more.

He drove away with such speed it's impossible for Brooke to ignore him this time.

''Y-y-ah...''

He heard him but he didn't even give her a glance.

''Sebastian!!'' she tried calling for his name once more.

''Yah!''

''Stop the car.''

Sebastian looked at her through his peripheral view and went back to the road.

''Stop the car! Now!''

''I'm not your chauffeur. And let me remind you, this is my car.''

''You!!!'' Brooke glowered at him. ''Stop the goddamn car or I'm going to jump off!'' she warned.

''You can try... I wanna see you do that.''

''Yaaaaah!!!'' Brooke hit his arm, making the car they were riding swerve a bit.

''Shit! Stop doing that if you don't wanna die!'' he scowled at her. ''If I were you, I'd just save my energy for later! Now sit back and just behave!''

Brooke was stupefied for a while.

Did he just shout at her?

What’s gonna happen later?

She stopped whining for a while and looked out of the window.

She doesn’t wanna think anymore.

She's tired.

So damn tired.

*******

''Hello?'' Emma cradled her phone in between her ear and shoulder as she fixed her clothes in the cabinet.

''I'm sorry it turned out this way. We never thought this would happen.'' the person on the other line said.

''I-it's okay, dear. We can't expect things to fall according to plans perfectly.'' Emma closed the cabinet door and took held her phone with her two hands. ''So... H-h-ow is she?'' she asked.

''The last thing I heard... She's already home. I am sorry for our very late notice. We should've told you before.''

''No... You told me just in time. Who would've thought of it? I came here to surprise everyone only to find myself the one surprised in the end?'' she chuckled bitterly. ''Where's Teddy? Aigoo. He's been giving you so much of a hard time, isn't he?''

''He's not...'' the girl on the other line smiled. ''I mean, I'd always be happy to help him. He's with grandpa right now and he's trying to talk to him.''

''My father. My heart sank when I saw his face. I was expecting he's gonna tell me already. But that child... I felt myself gaining strength when I saw that child.'' Emma said as she tried to remember the events that almost shook her sanity. ''Since when did you know about our family's dirty little secret, dear?''