World 5.17: Eva

The new butler of Esmeralda's estate received Austin and Eva at the front gate.

"Austin? ... Eva." Esmeralda appeared at the doorway to the sitting room on the first level. She lost her cheerfulness and it was obvious to them that she was still mourning her parents death.

"This is rare. What brought the both of you here?" Esmeralda asked with a small smile.

"Sorry that I did not turn up at your parents' funeral... I should have known better than anyone else how you would have needed support the most at this time."

Esmeralda shook her head while she sat down with them. "Don't mention it. You and Eva were having it rough too, isn't it? While the both of you had to deal with things by yourself, at least I have Dylan here with me. He helped me settle and rebuild everything while I was down and out."

Eva caught an affectionate look creeping into Esmeralda's expression while she talked about Dylan. So this is how he wormed his way into her heart...

"What about Saddie?"

"I don't know. Dylan said she's been claiming to be sick and hiding in her room for days."

"She did not turn up for the funeral as well?"

Esmeralda shook her head.

"In that case, we can head over to your parents' grave once they're here. I've sent my butler to get them."

"Sure, my parents would love to have all of you over." Esmeralda smiled warmly. Silence hung thick in the air while everyone sipped on their tea. After what seemed like an eternity, the door bell finally rang.

"Now that they're here, let's not waste time and head straight to the graveyard together." Austin suggested.

"Sounds good." Esmeralda agreed. They put down their cups on the table and left with Eva silently following behind Austin as usual.

"Austin!" Saddie was the first to call out as she excitedly sprung forward upon seeing him. However, the moment she noticed Eva right behind him, she shrunk back to hide behind Dylan.

She has learnt everything that happened at Esmeralda's estate from Dylan so she knew that Eva would know that she was the person who requested for Esmeralda's death. She was not only afraid that she would be exposed, she also started feeling guilty now that everything blew up in ways she did not expect. As such, she chose to hide herself in her room away from everyone.

When she had heard that Austin requested for Dylan and her to meet up at Esmeralda's estate, she felt happy. If I was already exposed, he would have came here himself to kill me right? Doesn't that mean, I'm still safe? With that thought in mind, she happily turned up for the gathering. However, she lost all the confidence the moment she saw that Eva was present as well. She started to contemplate if she should feign feeling sick so that she could run back home.

"Eva?" Dylan and Humphrey said at the same time.

No one knew that Eva would be present. They were only informed that Austin has requested for them to meet at Esmeralda's estate.

Humphrey forgot about proper formalities in his excitement and ran to Eva to hug her with tears clinging to the sides of his eyes. "You're alive! You're alive! I thought you'd be done for just because of your parents! What a sad unfortunate life you have!"

Everyone was surprised by Humphrey's outburst, especially Eva and Austin.

Eva had immediately turned stiff when she was hugged by him, but gradually relaxed when she heard what he had to say. Somehow, he reminded her of BaoBao.