World 3.7: BaiXue

Upon reaching the mountains, she quickly realised the difference between exploring the mountains and the forest. Besides the natural fact that the animals that lived on the mountains were different from forest animals, it was noticeably much easier to run into one of the animals or people living here unlike what it was like in the forest.

The original soul must have really learnt to be stealthy from all the errands she ran for FenFang by the time she was tasked to cross the mountain. She could actually cross this successfully. BaiXue commented with a slightly impressed tone.

It still proved to be no problem for BaiXue thanks to her speed and BaoBao's surveillance. She avoided any encounters with people or real animals and scaled the mountain easily while inspecting it. When she found nothing, she decided to start luring animals away from their territories to inspect those areas too. She either laid baits, hunted them for food, or knocked them out.

Another two months passed. 

BaiXue has already inspected most of the three mountains except its peaks and the basilisk cave. She even scoured the 3 villages of the 3 mountains that was set up near the base of the mountain for any clues.

It's time to visit the Basilisk cave. BaiXue made up her mind decisively.

But you're not strong enough to fight it yet! BaoBao was worried.

Who said that I would have to fight it? I'll just lure the person like I do to any other animal.

As this basilisk was a real person who killed people and strong animals for nourishment, she could not use the normal weaker animals as bait. It would show no interest in chasing after it. So she decided to use herself as bait.

She loitered around some distance away from the cave as if searching for something. She had a bow in hand and acted totally like a typical villager who lived in the mountains who was merely out hunting for food. She pretended not to notice that she was nearing the basilisk cave as she tracked the cougar that she had intentionally chased into this direction.

The person who changes into a basilisk caught sight of BaiXue and thought to herself that a foolish but delicious meal has presented itself to her. She tailed BaiXue quietly while keeping to the shadows, ready to transform and eat her when the time was right.

She did not suspect in the least that it was a trap because no villagers knew the location of her cave. She also never only hunted around her cave. She hunted all over the three mountains. Her overconfidence resulted in her blunder.

She saw BaiXue go around a corner into an isolated area. She changed into a basilisk and slithered there. She was planning to attack there. However, once she went around the corner, she found no sign of BaiXue. Confused she looked all over then saw the cougar sprinting off in the distance. She cursed. She thought that the person was a lousy hunter who had alerted the cougar and now needed to chase after it. So she followed the cougar.

Unbeknownst to the basilisk, BaoBao had alerted BaiXue to her movement which triggered BaiXue to make her next move. She went around the corner, alerted the cougar by shooting an arrow at it, threw her bow and arrows over the cliff, then quickly transformed into a rabbit to dash off at full speed. She reached the entrance of the basilisk cave in no time.

She entered the the cold, dark, and empty cave. She felt around the walls and went through every inch of the cave. 

The only conclusion she arrived at was that this cave used to be larger but was collapsed at several areas. There were several small holes between fallen rocks that were just large enough for her to squeeze through in her tiny rabbit form, but when she did, she quickly found out that it was only a narrow space with a dead end.