''And I can tell you who it is.'' anger was clear in Jace's voice.

''Valentine''

They saw his punishment rune get deactivated ''Well that explains how he deactivated his punishment rune but it doesn't explain where he got the ring.'' Katherine sighed and ran her free hand through her hair ''You think someone smuggled it past the wards?'' Clary folded her hands across her chest.

Katherine nodded her head ''Maybe.'' Jace looked at her before looking at Alec over her head ''Yeah, Hodge wasn't the only ex-circle member around here.'' Izzy turned in her chair to look at him ''Look, I know I don't always see eye to eye with my parents but I know they are not traitors.''

Jace looked down at the dark haired girl '' Really? Isn't that what you just said about Hodge?'' Katherine gave him a sharp look as Izzy looked away ''It would have been  someone we trusted but if there was an intruder inside the Institute we would have found them by now.'' she felt Alec lightly draw patterns on her knuckles as Clary turned around to look at them ''What about the forsaken attack?''

''No, we killed that thing and I didn't see a ring.'' 

''He didn't have one during the autopsy but-'' Izzy pulled another footage up ''Maybe there's something in the footage.''

Realization flickered inside Katherine as they all saw him fighting off the forsaken  '' Hodge had stayed by the body. He could have taken the ring off of it.'' Alec looked at her before looking back at the screen ''Go to the other camera.''

Izzy's fingers flew across the keyboard and Katherine narrowed her eyes as she saw Hodge searching the forsaken's dead body. ''There.'' Jace pointed out and Izzy zoomed in to see Hodge pulling the ring off the dead body.

Jace looked at Katherine ''You were right then.'' she sighed ''Wish I wasn't.''

''So it wasn't a random attack.'' Clary looked at Jace and Katherine felt betrayed by the man she had along with Jace, Alec and Izzy called her teacher. She looked at Alec and saw the sting of betrayal reflect across his face as well and squeezed his hand.

''He was just the delivery boy.''

''If he gives that Cup to Valentine he'll create an army of Shadowhunters, with that kind of power behind him, he'll kill thousands.'' Alec looked down at his and Katherine's hands and unintentionally gave her hand a squeeze.

''He'll kill thousands just creating the army.'' Izzy sighed in defeat ''Most mundanes won't survive that.'' ''We won't let that happen.'' Clary assured.

''I'm gonna make sure of it.'' Jace stormed off in fury and Katherine looked after him in worry ''He's going to get himself hurt or killed....Alec we have to go after him.'' she tried to move but Alec grabbed her arm ''I will go after Jace. You'll stay here.'' she blinked up at him ''What?No Alec I-'' 

Alec cupped her face between his hands ''I will go after him Kate.'' She shook her head ''We'll both go after him.'' he opened his mouth to argue but closed it after seeing the look on her face and sighed in defeat ''Fine, but stay close by my side.''

Katherine smiled and  pecked his lips in response.

She had changed into gear and was picking up seraph blade and daggers from the rack with Jace and Alec when Clary had walked up to them and tried to talk Jace out of hunting Hodge ....which didn't work.

And as Jace called someone on his phone, Alec looked at Katherine ''I'll be fine,Alec.This isn't the first time I have picked up a weapon in my hand.'' he didn't look revealed by that and she interlaced their fingers ''I swear, I'll be fine.''