Chapter 36: Old Rival, Unexpected Discovery

Speaking of flower arranging, Jing Wan had further insight, "Grandfather, I'll make one for you to see." Standing before a certain vendor's stall, Jing Wan just used the pieces that were cut off and a small bamboo basket that looked somewhat worn-out. She casually added in some dried up branches and leaves. And those flower pieces, she also just nonchalantly pruned, and afterwards, inserted one by one into the basket. She then polished the edges a bit, and in a short time, something that was originally ignored by other, completely changed into something else, appearing somewhat messy, yet very pleasing to look at, or even......elegant. Probably even the most nitpicky person, at most would just nitpick that the materials used weren't classy enough, but wouldn't disdain the entirety.

Luo Pei Shan was fond of flowers. But that was the same as 'unless a name breed, don't want'. Only today did he learn how short-sighted he was.

Just like with people, those with extraordinary status was always in the minority. Majority of people were still just ordinary commoners. Don't tell me you can just deny their happiness, anger, joy, and sorrow? Don't they have their own beauty, own self worth? They do, and it was also very high.

"Looks like, grandfather still has a lot to learn from Wan Wan." Not flower arranging, but in 'system of values', although Luo Pei Shan doesn't know this phrase. While lost in thought, he seemingly recalled again the time in the past when he was working as an official at an outer post. He'd believed himself to be a good official, but perhaps he was far from enough.

Jing Wan didn't know that, in that short instant, her grandfather had thought of that much. She took the handkerchief the servant girl handed over and wiped her hands.

From when Jing Wan started, there were already quite a few people in the surrounding. From the initial, puzzlement to the later admiration, they all looked to her, carrying curiosity in their eyes. However, although she appeared to be dressed plainly, that conduct wasn't like that of an ordinary family's. Thus, they didn't dare to be rude.

Rather, the stall owner, didn't because of Jing Wan's action, stop her from using his things. Having gratuitously obtained a flower arrangement, even if it can't be sold, just looking at it was also pleasing to the eye and warming to the heart.

Just as they walked out of the crowd, across from them, stood a brightly smiling old man. Just this old's skin was very white, whiter than a great majority of women. Furthermore, his beard looked relatively sparse, and even his adam's apple wasn't that distinct either. Jing Wan thought, this person, in his youth, nine times out of ten, must have been mistaken as a women by others. However, her grandfather, who originally was still carrying a smile, immediately dropped his expression after seeing this person. It can be seen that these two certainly must be acquainted. Perhaps, they might even be 'enemies'.

The white faced old man cupped his hands, "Greetings Sir Luo."

Luo Pei Shan looked to him, feeling his nose wasn't a nose, his eyes weren't eyes, and seemingly wanted to very much ignore him.

The old man however still continued to smile and look towards Jing Wan, "This is Sir Luo's granddaughter? Really good at arranging flowers."

Luo Pei Shan humphed, "My family number two's di daughter, ranked third. This one is the Judicial Court's Sir Diwu."

"This one greets Sir Diwu." Jing Wan saluted in a curtsy, neither servile nor overbearing, her manners furthermore flawless.

"Good good, it's still young ladies that are good ah, not like us, these darn old men, getting hated by others." Head Magistrate Diwu stroked his beard.

Jing Wan was silent. No wonder grandfather couldn't handle him, look at how this hatred is drawn.

"Little girl ah, this Sir Diwu's home has the most, and most complete, of camellias. However, grandfather seems to have seen him lacking an eighteenth scholar, and there didn't seem to be a violent fragrant either. Also, that flowering crane feather's grade didn't seem that good either. Ai, really such a shame."