Chapter 11: Unexpected Remarks

"Grandfather, this granddaughter understands your intent, and not to mention, it still hasn't reached that point yet. Even if it does get to that point, some things just can't be endured. I can't, for the sake of that bit of false happiness, pretend to be ignorant. That kind of thing for me is more painful than actual harm."

Luo Pei Shan remained silent for a moment, then slightly nodded, unsure whether he was acknowledging her words, or was just indicating that he understood. "The current political landscape, I won't say much. But regarding your marriage, I will tell your grandmother, and let her, as much as possible, give you the greatest freedom to choose. And within my abilities, I will also help you be on guard."

These words were even more extreme. Bear in mind, men were in charge of the outside, while women were in charge of the inside. For a man to interfere in the matters of the inner courtyard, not many were capable of it. If word got out, one might even get mocked at by others, especially since it wasn't really related to one's own political interest.

"Many thanks grandfather." Jing Wan was very grateful, but also calmly accepted this good intention. In front of people who understood, modesty, reservation, and what not were all pointless. For those who don't care, even if you went even more overboard, they still wouldn't care either. And for those who did care, probably even the way you walked was more or less wrong too.

"This is the imperial court's imperial bulletin[1]. You can take it back with you to look at, just treat is as a pastime."

"Then this granddaughter won't be polite." Her smile became even more bright.

"En, after you're done, you can just come fetch another one. In the future, I'll have someone also send you a copy. If you have any thoughts, you can come find me."

So, this last part was actually the key point?! Even if I was born as daughter, as long as I possess the ability to, it's not like I completely can't be used either, right? Occasionally participating in the backgrounds, perhaps might even help polish those disappointing grandsons. To neglect neither one, not bad.

Jing Wan understood his intentions, and because it wasn't forced, completely complying to her desires, she naturally didn't have any complaints.

After Jing Wan left, Luo Rong Wen wanted to say something but hesitated. Since ancient times, marriage has been by the order of the parents and words of the matchmaker. To let a girl decided on her own? If word got out, others would definitely laugh. Furthermore....

Truth be told, even Luo Rong Yan didn't expected that his father held such regards towards his daughter either. It was practically another kind of extreme pampering. If their places were changed, he definitely wouldn't be able to do this kind of thing. He has his wife and children in his heart, but he was always self-centered. Otherwise, even if he didn't like officialdom, he would still strive for their sake. The higher his position was, the better it would be for his wife and children. But obviously, he didn't think like this. He entirely only ever pursued the things he wanted. Should he as the father reflect on his conscious for once?

"Eldest, what do you want to say?" Luo Pei Shan took a sip of a tea and asked.

Luo Rong Wen seemingly deliberated for a moment, "Father, this son feels, it's fine to dote on a daughter some, but if too much...."

Luo Pei Shan gave him a glance. He knew that what this son wanted to say wasn't this, but he still dryly said, "Some people are very difficult to spoil, even if you want to purposefully spoil them rotten. Because they have self-control and understand propriety, they will never make it difficult for others, making people feel as if they haven't pampered them enough. People will unconsciously want to pamper them some more, wanting to truly spoil them."