Chapter 10: Summoned by Grandfather

"Might possibly be going with grandmother to the Chen family." Luo Old Madam's maiden family was Chen.

This was an incomparably strong and also irrefutable excuse, yet also an excuse that makes one jealous and resentful.

Luo Jing Ying restrained herself from losing her composure, and Jiang Ling Shan's smile stiffened. However, it was clear that her level was still above Luo Jing Ying's, and very quickly she recovered. "So it's like that. But no worries, next time younger cousin Wan will definitely be able to receive Miss Sun's invitation. Miss Sun is a very modest person, if she sees you, younger cousin Wan, she'll definitely like you."

With such familiarity and rather obvious intimate manner of speaking, she was showing off how close she was with that Miss Sun.

Before coming to the capital, Jing Wan had specifically studied the noble madams, as well as those noble daughters, of the capital. Her temporary teacher at the time was Gong mama. Although the old madam had mentioned some stuff to her before, but what she didn't know was that Jing Wan's understanding of the capital's affairs even exceeded many of the locals.

This Miss Sun, Sun Yi Jia, was born high and noble, and was also very outstanding in all aspects. Even those unfavored princesses and junzhus[1], when facing her, not only had to somewhat concede, they sometimes would even fawn over her in order to live better.

Perhaps Sun Yi Jia's temperament really wasn't bad, but it definitely wasn't modest either. Rather, she was the kind of person that was accustom to being held high up with everyone revolving around her. And what kind of person was Jiang Ling Shan? Her mother was merely a shu daughter of the Head Minister of Rites, and her father was only a fourth ranked official. There was too big of a gap between their status and position. This wasn't a place where everyone was equal. As a master, addressing servants girls as sisters or becoming good friends with them and what not was practically an enormous joke.

Of course, it didn't mean that people, who had a large disparity in status, absolutely can't become close friends, it's just that the odds were too low. It was obvious Jiang Ling Shan didn't have this fortune. And Sun Yi Jia wasn't someone that would lower herself either. Jiang Ling Shan was merely a little lackey that used every means possible to desperately squeeze herself into Sun Yi Jia's circle, and was even the lowest ranked kind. Because there were too many people that wanted to curry favor with Sun Yi Jia, she needed to constantly pay attention to not get pushed aside by others. And on the other hand, she also needed to carefully fawn over that person as well.

She can't go too overboard and cause the person to be disgusted with her, and also can't be too reserved and not have any presence. Without mentioning being exhausted both mentally and physically, getting by not according to one's wish and being unsatisfied was certain.

For her to be able to occupy a seat next to Sun Yi Jia, it was indeed a skill. For example, Luo Jing Ying also coveted that circle, yet didn't have the capability.

Jing Wan was rather uninterested in exposing her. After all, everyone all have their own way of survival, regardless of whether it was voluntary, or forced to make that kind of decision. She and Jiang Ling Shan, for the time being, didn't have any grudges or animosity. There was no need to tear down all pretenses of cordiality and tie a death knot. How it will be in the future? We'll see.

Naturally, the afternoon meal was very lively. Luo Old Madam's body perhaps was somewhat exhausted, but her spirit was quite good.

Because it was Jing Wan's first time entering the capital, and also because her position in the old madam's heart was extremely high, as expected, the things she received as greeting gifts were all not bad. Her little treasury once again added another mark.