Chapter 7: Believing, Protecting, Darling

Luo Jing Bo wanted to go up and knock on her head. It was already at this point, and she still wasn't taking it seriously?

Luo Rong Yan sometimes was also very helpless towards this daughter.

"Father and big brother are thinking too much. Grandfather didn't have any other intentions for giving away that pot of ink orchid." Jing Wan very confidently spoke, "It's probably just because when I was in Qi'an Fu, I did very well, and also because I like flowers, that's all."

"How do you know?" Luo Jing Bo asked back.

Jing Wan hooked the corner of her lips, "Because I believe in grandfather's moral character, and further believes his wisdom and farsightedness. For grandfather to be able to have this level of position today, most of it was dependent on himself. In the earlier years, he originally could have climbed up even higher even faster. If it was like that, nowadays, perhaps he wouldn't just be a Head Minister of the Ministry of Rites. But he didn't. All three paternal aunts[1] married in the capital. What kind of people they married, father and big brother should know better than me, right? Those were all the son-in-laws that grandfather personally picked. Right now, the state of affairs aren't clear, how could grandfather just rashly pick a side? And with his wisdom, he wouldn't be easily coerced by someone else either. Furthermore, if I were them, I wouldn't choose to drag grandfather down into the water. After all, what grandfather is in control of is the Ministry of Rites. All kinds of sacrificial rituals, celebrations, birthdays, and even funerals, all follow a single word, 'rites'. As long as it's 'perfectly legitimate' at the very end, the involvement with the others aren't big. Grandfather isn't someone who doesn't know to be flexible. In addition, second great-uncle has the noble and grace of a scholar. His influence amongst the scholars is tremendous. If angered, that is 'to rather be broken jade, than to be pottery and preserve'[2]. Even if they become the final victor and sit atop that high position, they would get condemned in speech and writing, unable to live a peaceful life. And how many Emperors are there that didn't cherish their feathers[3] and not want to leave their name for all eternity? Can't go as far as to kill off all the scholars in the world, right?"

Speaking to here, Jing Wan suddenly felt, that grandfather of hers perhaps wasn't thinking of advancing, but had deliberately won over this Head Minister of Rites position. Because this position wasn't considered eye-catching, yet wouldn't casually be stepped on by others either. In the current situation, there was nothing more wonderful.

Hearing Jing Wan explain it as such, it seemed it was indeed like so. The two's gaze towards Jing Wan changed once again. Lastly, Luo Jing Bo rather complicatedly said, "If grandfather were to hear your words, he would probably be very happy, and would further feel how unfortunate it was that you weren't born male."

"There's nothing to feel unfortunate about. Towards my own status as a daughter, this younger sister is very satisfied with. If father is still worried, why don't you go probe first uncle's intentions tomorrow? As the Luo family's next head, he should be more concerned about this matter than you. If grandfather really has this kind of intention, regardless of who he hides it from, he wouldn't hide it from first uncle."

Luo Rong Yan nodded his head. However, he wouldn't go look for his eldest brother. Instead, he would directly and frankly go ask his father, and not go in circles.

"Father, the time is not early anymore, this daughter will return first." After Luo Rong Yan gave permission, Jing Wan lead her caretaker mama and Qing Zhu, with a small servant girl holding a lantern, back to her own small courtyard--Elegant Haitang[4] Residence.

After strolling a few circles to aid in digestion, that pot of ink orchid was sent over.

Jing Wan thought that this orchid was only just named as 'ink orchid' and that the flower's color would vary. But unexpectedly, this was nevertheless an actual ink orchid, not only in name but also in reality. It was just a flower bud, but because it was about to bloom soon, the petals could be vaguely seen. Black and dark green, yet also carrying a trace of sleek glistening luster, making it look exceptionally beautiful. Finally did Jing Wan realize, she'd obtained a rare and valuable object, a treasure among treasures.