"What is this?" I asked, taking the cup from her hands.

        "You will drink it, and get rid of the baby." the Empress demanded, but the mellow expression on her face contradicted her voice.

         I shook my head, even letting out a real, belittling laugh. "Empress, I already told you that I am not carrying a child! Out of everyone, you would know that I've never laid with His Majesty."

        "Then how come he gave you this title?" the Empress shouted.

        Her eyes narrowed, looking straight into mine. She stood above me, looking down at me like I was nothing to her. I remained calm and collected. Only for Hua Er. Just for Hua Er, I will not slap this woman. Just for Hua Er, I will be kind. 

        "You are nothing!" the Empress spat.

        "Your Majesty, I know that you are going through a lot. I pity your position," I said, standing up to be face to face with her. 

         The Empress shook her head in dismay. 

         "The whole harem is against you, Empress. You have to keep your position, and you work hard to keep that position. Isn't that why you killed Imperial Noble Consort Yang? Isn't that why you plotted against me the first time I moved in?"

          "Ying Yue, I'll watch what you say if I were you..."

         "No, Your Majesty, this is not a threat. I've never threatened you in my life. If I wanted to usurp your throne, I would have let you die," I continued. "I saved your life during that assassination. I understand that you have to share your lover with different girls that may hate you. I understand that what you do is to survive in this place—to survive and remain as the empress."

          "But Empress," I chuckled. "I will not, ever, try to take your position. I respect your decisions, and I respect the fact that you haven't executed me for this but, you must realise, that I am not out to get you. If you don't feel compelled to sabotage me, I will not feel compelled to sabotage you."

         I waited for the Empress to react, but she only exhaled sharply from her nose. Her shoulders relaxed. Her pursed lips relaxed. And her eyes softened at my last sentence. The Empress adjusted her hairpiece slightly. She brushed her finger across her eyebrows. "Ying Yue, I've misunderstood you."

         "I've never misunderstood you, Your Majesty. I understand your distress. I understand the envy," I said, almost pleading the words to her. "So please, we are on the same side here. But, I do want to say. I am not your accomplice to any schemes. I am not going to be your—"

          "I get it," the Empress interrupted sharply, she took the cup from me and placed it harshly on the table. She jutted her chin and glared at me. "You may leave."

          But I didn't want to leave yet. I wanted to know for sure that she won't try and harm me again. I continued to look at her, not breaking any eye contact nor blinking. She didn't scare me. She should scare me, but I was heated into breaking her. I was so heated into psychologically analyzing her, that I wanted to take apart the components of her mind like a machine, and see how it worked.

         We kept looking at each other, filled with different emotions. She was irritated, and I was interested.

          "Empress—" I began.

          "Ying Yue, I am not going to harm you anymore," the Empress gritted her teeth. "I will repeat myself: you may leave."

          "I shall take my leave then, Your Majesty." I bowed.