Chapter 4

Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim. -Nora Ephron

I ran, as fast as my legs could take me

Shift. Just shift, Ella, please. I begged her, but we were too out of sync, and after what the Alpha King said she is back to locking me out. Well yes, I also felt hurt. But now's not the time...

"Let her go!" I screamed at the wolf, who immediately snapped his head to me with the little girl's arm still in his grip. He was dragging the poor girl by her arm, her little legs were full of bruises and blood from the gravel road which she was dragged like a ragdoll. Her leggings were ripped exposing her legs, which made everything worse.

Her screams and cries broke my heart. How can I just leave her? She had to be no older than maybe 2 years?

"Get her, now" Ella snapped out of her state of shock and growled in my head.

"How, I cant shift?" I shouted at her mentally.

"Let me take over. I have better skills than you..."

"Why you are just peachy, aren't you?" I snapped back at her, giving her full control of my body. Ella may be emotional and a pain sometimes but she was strong at heart. She was the reason I was able to live and get through, everything.

We quickly scanned our surroundings and spotted a few other wolves who were now surrounding us, alongside some humans who are all dressed in black with a lot of weapons and..... Fuck, I smell wolfsbane.

I had no time to think about why wolves and humans were working together. It was too much for me to handle with a crying baby on my mind.

Shaking all thoughts of fear; because I was shitting my pants at the moment, I decided to use what I know. That is to help that girl, at all means. She was just a baby. She did not deserve to be hurt.

Again she screamed, her sobs and cries shook my heart. We ran, Ella was fast, pushing my body to its limits. I was hit to the ground by a human who started beating my face. Over and over and over again. Until Ella snapped, taking his hand in hers before his punch hit my face again.

She then twisted his arm until I heard a snap, she pushed him off and dodged a few more humans.

Almost there.

Then came the wolves, rogues. Their smell was unbearable and they had this feral expression in their eyes.

'Mental note... Don't shit your pants... Just smile and wave Ella... smile and wave.'