31: The Sacrifice

MJ was walking from work to school, earphones in, the tiny microphone held by the corner of her mouth as she spoke Spanish. Her apartment was a mess, spells were pinned to most of the walls; ramblings and theories, pieces of strings connecting them like she was on some detective show. If she filmed a life-update for her brother, he'd notice all the magic, get nosy, and then her choice would be lying to him or letting him tell her off. She didn't like either of those options, so instead, she walked and talked.

Usually, she only worked at the book shop on weekends or after school, but she'd managed to talk her homeroom teacher into not marking her absent so she could get some extra cash. She'd opened the shop up, restocked some shelves, then spent the next hour and a half reading websites that were run by actual witches and vampires. MJ was looking for anything about moonstones, or Originals until she had to eventually go to school.

"MJ," Damon appeared as she walked.

"Salvatores."

One was on either side of her, so she paused the recording, earphones hanging on her shirt.

"Why do I think you're here to bargain for a moonstone?"

"Because we are," Stefan admitted.

"And why do you need it?"

"A guy, Slater, did some digging for Rose," Damon was unnaturally focused, "There's a way to release the spell using the ancestors, so we're giving the stone to Bonnie. She can un-spell it."

"Like she un-spelled the Gilbert Device?"

They shared a look.

"It's different, this time it affects Elena."

"True," MJ had to give them that, "Can I ask what exactly Slater told you?"

"He said a witch could channel the ancestor who made it and release the spell," Stefan explained.

"Okay."

"You're being too short with us," Damon narrowed his eyes, "What are you planning?"

"Nothing, just, to channel the ancestor, you're gonna need to get that fake stone off Katherine."

"Why?"

"Bonnie needs an uncorrupted spell; otherwise, she won't find the spirit's magic. I moved some of it to the second stone to trick Katherine's witch."

"If you can move magic, why can't you just take all of it out of the moonstone?"

"Because siphoning that much magic would probably kill me."

"That's a sacrifice I'm willing to make."

"Damon," Stefan sighed.

MJ glared, "We go with the Bonnie plan."

"Seriously?" Stefan perked up, "You'll give it to us?"

MJ nodded, "Having the moonstone kept me safe from Katherine. She's locked up. Now it makes me a target."

"Where's the but?" Damon didn't trust her.

She would've been irritated if his assumption hadn't been correct.

"I'm only handing it over once you've got the fake off Katherine," She held her head high, "And you have to let me talk to the ancestor first."

"Why?"

"If I give it to you now, Damon will try to taunt Katherine with it, and somehow she'll end up with it."

Her first point.

"And, I want to talk to the witch to check that overpowering the spell won't kill Bonnie."

"Again, sacrifice I'm willing to make."