90: Now And Then

MJ stepped onto the porch as Caroline put the phone in her pocket.

"Do you know where he is?" Stefan asked her.

"As far away from Klaus as he can get," Caroline answered, "Klaus said he wouldn't stop until he found him."

"Klaus told me he wouldn't go looking," MJ added.

"And we're trusting that?"

"He's probably going to stick around here to murder us all for killing Kol," She pointed out, "Or to use us to get the cure back."

The cure was going to be a massive thorn in their side, MJ could feel it in her gut.

"He's not going to like it just being out there as a weapon against him."

After she'd said it, MJ realised that half her point was completely inaccurate.

Klaus wouldn't be killing all of them.

He wouldn't kill Caroline or MJ.

Caroline managed a sarcastic smile, "If he's dealing with us, Ty's safe!"

"Pretty much."

"Katherine's been running from Klaus for five hundred years. It's not easy, but it's possible," Stefan clicked his teeth, "It's probably why she stole the cure. She wants to bargain for her freedom."

"Or she wants to be the one to use it on him," MJ suggested, "Or she wants to make sure it can't be used against her."

Should she text Katherine?

Surely, the vampire would've changed her number the moment she was off the island.

She'd have to, to make sure MJ couldn't find her.

Katherine wasn't stupid.

She knew MJ still had some of her blood preserved from the sire-line investigations, so ditching the phone wouldn't do anything, and if Katherine did want to bargain for her freedom, her two lines of contact with Klaus, without having to talk to him herself, would be MJ and Elijah.

She'd need MJ's contact information, and if she did call with the cure, MJ could get it.

"I can't believe that after all of this, the cure is just," Caroline stared at the street, "Gone."

"Yeah," Stefan took a seat on the porch swing, "I mean, talk about denial."

His eyes went wide for a second before resetting.

"In my head, there was no way that Elena was gonna stay a vampire forever."

And that denial had been something MJ had lectured them about on multiple occasions.

"And now without any family."

MJ sat down too.

"You're thinking something," Stefan commented.

"I am."

"You gonna share?"

"Nope."

"Why not?"

"Because it's not pleasant."

"Hm?"

"Just..."

She couldn't say what she was thinking out loud.

Unless Jeremy turned, Elena was always going to lose him.

She was a vampire, while he'd grow up, get a life, probably make her insanely jealous by starting a family and being human, and then he'd die.