29: Masquerade

If MJ was honest with herself, her life was far too busy for an evil doppelgänger.

She always talked about how she liked having things to do, but she'd officially found her limit: her schoolwork, a moonstone, and Katherine. On top of that, she had two weeks of community clean-up to run. MJ was spending most of her free time picking up rubbish with her volunteers, tutoring Jeremy, and supporting Tyler. Tyler. She was also trying to organise a party so he could have a break. Then there was Liz, who'd recently been released from the Salvatore Cellar and was trying to get MJ to talk about a fire that had happened nearly a month prior.

Plus, she had a job that she couldn't skip, because no paycheck meant no food.

Katherine.

MJ's biggest obsession.

Jenna had been compelled to stab herself.

Katherine had been compelling Jenna for days without any of them knowing.

When MJ finished a clean-up session, she found her phone full of voicemails from a panicked Caroline, telling her to get to the Salvatore House, ASAP.

She ran there.

Through the unlocked front door, she found Caroline sitting on the couch, jumpy at the sound of someone coming in.

Damon handed her a cup of blood, "Here."

"Care," MJ went to wrap an arm around her, "You're shaking."

Stefan rushed in from the backdoor, having been out hunting when Caroline arrived.

"What happened?"

Damon patted Caroline on the back to signal for her to talk, "You're gonna love this."

"I saw Katherine today."

"Where?" Stefan asked

"At the Grill. I just stopped by to gawk and," She paused in slight shame, "...quasi-stalk Matt."

"Skip the teen drama and get to it," Damon glared at her.

"I had to pretend to use the bathroom, even though I didn't really have to go because I'm a doofus," She sighed at herself, "I thought she was Elena. Then I clicked the hair, and I knew Elena was at home with Jenna too, and, I tried to leave, but she stopped me and told me to deliver a message to you two."

She pointed to the Salvatore Brothers.

"What was the message?"

"Tell Damon and Stefan that I want the moonstone or I will rip this town apart until it rains blood."

"Tell him the rest of it," Damon was far too cheery.

"Tonight, at the Masquerade Ball."

"She wants to do it in public?" Stefan turned, starting to pace, "Killing Mason threw her off guard."

"She's running scared," Damon gloated, "What she did to Jenna was desperate. She's out of tricks."

"You've got to be kidding me," MJ let go of Caroline to glare at him, "Jenna almost died. That's a warning shot."

She looked at Stefan too.

"She has the cards, and she's angry, not off-guard."

"You have the moonstone," Damon shrugged.

"Which I don't understand the purpose of," MJ reminded them, "Clearly Katherine does. And she wants it, and she could compel the entire town to commit mass suicide if she wanted too."

MJ shook her head slightly.

"While we were playing with wolves, she's just been here, wearing Elena's face. That gets her an invite pretty much everywhere. She could kick both of your asses – "