78: 'A Year' In The Life

a/n: This episode ended up being so long that it had to be split in two. It has a fun little wrap-up of TVDS1-4 (You'll see what I mean)

P.S. Apologies in advance, I don't know what happened to me at the end of this chapter (dirty talk makes me laugh and now we're here) -Bea xx

~***~

It had officially been twenty days since Alaric had died.

Twenty days since Elena had been turned into a vampire.

MJ had woken up early, snuck out of the house without waiting for Tyler or Carol, finally returning her own apartment keys, then going to Ric's.

She wasn't clearing it out. She'd need to ease herself into that. But she also needed to take the first step so she could start easing herself in.

Once that was done, MJ headed back to the Lockwood's. It was still too early for anyone else to be up, so she let herself focus on fabrics instead of even attempting to get back to bed. Making clothes helped remove the tension from her shoulders, and the more she made, the more orders she was getting.

They were a few days away from December, so people at school wanted Winter Formal dresses, Christmas Party Outfits, and general Christmas presents. MJ was happy to supply considering, she was finally back in the High School hallways, and she wanted any excuse to hide in the art room until Ric's classroom stopped staring at her.

And yes, MJ was aware classrooms couldn't stare, but it was just how she felt.

She was still managing to ace tests and homework's, but she hadn't been forcing herself to go to classes. Stefan checked in with the office every few days to compel attendance for everyone anyway, and she wasn't going to force herself to sit through maths. Not when the teacher just used the lesson as an excuse to try and dress code her every day. As long as her tests and homework's were perfect, she'd still be on track to get Valedictorian.

She wanted that stupid title so bad.

She'd spent too many years overworking herself to not get it.

When she wasn't making clothes, she was on her emails, looking through all the people who'd contacted her new account.

It was a little crazy how many people in the supernatural world were desperate for any information about her.

When MJ needed a little bit of breather from the sewing machine, she looked to the desk in the room she now called her own.

The gift box from 'Rebekah', that was technically something Kol had bought for her.

She still hadn't opened it.

She hadn't really had the time too.

MJ had finished the macaroons pretty quickly, and she'd managed to read his copy of Midsummer Nights Dream. Her favourite part of reading it was Kol's commentary. Just like the writing in the copy of Macbeth, he'd annotated the entire play with how he'd stage it, leaving her with a dumb smile on her face while thinking 'nerd.'

Seeing how much thought he put into his mental picture of the stage made her feel fuzzy inside, and since she was a visual person, she could interpret the rough diagrams in the corners of the pages clearly.

She really liked the way he thought.

She really liked him.

She really hated that Klaus had walked in on them because, if he hadn't, they definitely would've had sex, and MJ really didn't like having left it half-started. Half-started meant she kept thinking about the different things that could've happened, which was not something she needed when she had things to do.