41: The Sun Also Rises

Her foot hit mud.

MJ was in a forest, among a collection of huts surrounding a large campfire, the dark sky looming over her despite the glowing stars.

She looked around.

Eyes.

People peering through windows — children hidden away in rooms lit by single candles.

A scream cut through the air

MJ ran, following the noise, hoping it would lead her to the sacrifice, only to be distracted by a sob.

One unnaturally close to her.

Her feet stooped.

A shadow raced past her, followed by another scream.

A different, female scream.

She felt her airways shutting down.

A quick check to her left.

Then her right.

Then, once she was sure that nothing was about to attack her, she started running again. Running towards a warm light she could see in the distance. Warm light, masking the figure chained to the tree, crying out for help.

Klaus.

It was his face, but with longer hair.

The woman in front of him used a long tong, turning the moonstone in a fire, focused on her task as Klaus writhed. The raw skin under the chains, combined with the pungent smell of wolfsbane and vervain in the air, implied he was covered in the poisons, and the puke dripping down Klaus's chin made it seem like he'd been force-fed it too.

"Phasmatos Adatu Sanguinem."

MJ had missed the first two lines of the spell, but that didn't matter, she just needed to know they were part of the preparation section.

She took a step closer.

The moonstone was stained with blood, she assumed Klaus's, but then realised it must've been the original Petrova.

MJ watched, horrified, as the moonstone glowed red with heat.

A mother branding her child.

"Med Dette Med, Omnia Sangorium."

It sizzled on the palms of both hands, blood around the marks as he begged for her to stop.

"Som Et Svar, Sanguinem."

The soles of both feet.

Klaus roared, eyes flickering in and out of the bright yellow of a werewolf, and the black of a vampire's real face.

"Sei Pour Sae, Tu Rai.

The site of the third eye

The black took over.

The curse was completed, leaving Klaus weeping, chained to a tree, desperately trying to break free.

MJ had to move.

She couldn't though.

She was just staring at Klaus weak form. The pain he was in.

No.

She needed to go.

She'd seen what she needed to, and she didn't want to give the witch time to realise she was meddling with her memories.

She took off just as Klaus broke out of the chains.

MJ didn't really care what happened after the curse, she just wanted to get out, but getting back to the door wasn't easy. The forest was a lot harder to navigate without a scream to follow.