05: You're Undead To Me

MJ rushed into the Salvatore Boarding House, a notebook held out in front of her, her hair a mess, and a bag of supplies clunking over her shoulder. Stefan was looking at her as she panted. MJ waved her hand in a 'give me a sec' gesture and he slowly started to smile.

"Did you run here?"

"Yes."

"You own a car."

"I know – Idiot sometimes," MJ held up her book and caught her breath, "I have a spell."

"To do what?"

"Desiccate him," she started unpacking things, "In theory, I could just siphon him into it, but I don't really know how to do that, and you said I can't kill him, so, desiccation spell."

Stefan had locked his brother in their basement for three days. The first day, MJ had shown up, stakes in hand and some celebratory Chinese Food waiting for her back home, only to be told she couldn't kill him. She understood why; Damon was his brother, his family, and killing your family, well, that was a big thing, but Damon's determination to be a nightmare meant they couldn't just give him a stern talking too.

"You said you wanted him out for a few years," MJ reminded him.

"Fifty or so."

She held the notebook up again, "Desiccate him."

"I like that plan," A new voice said.

A man with dark brown hair and blue eyes standing in the doorway.

"Hi?" MJ smiled, hoping this wasn't some new vampire relative.

"Zach Salvatore," he came forward with his hand out.

She didn't feel a drop of magic when she took it, "MJ."

"The witch."

"Yeah," calling her a witch wasn't incorrect. It just wasn't entirely accurate, "Branch of the family tree?"

"Distant Nephew,"

"And what do they call you?"

i.e. what's the cover story.

"Uncle Zach," Stefan answered, rolling his eyes as she snickered.

"That's not confusing at all," 

'Uncle-distant-nephew Zach'

Zach crossed his arms, getting back to the point, "How is Damon?"

"He's awake, weak," Stefan assured him, "But it's probably best to stay out of the basement. He's Damon. He could still be dangerous."

"Yet you won't let me at him," MJ had made a few other suggestions over the three days, before she'd gotten to desiccation, that had instantly been shut down.

"I was always planning on letting him desiccate, I was just going to do it the old-fashioned way," Stefan defended, "I've vervained him, taken his daylight ring, and he's nowhere near a blood source."

"He should be dealt with. Now. Magically," MJ smiled sweetly, "So he can't weasel his way out."

"I agree," Zach nodded.

"And I'll think about,"

MJ dropped the smile and sighed, continuing to unpack her bag.

"You're going to school?" Zach said and MJ looked to Stefan, who was grabbing his own bag and swinging it over his shoulder.

"Came here to live a life. It's about time I get back to that. And Elena,"

"If she's still speaking to you," MJ reminded him.