Chapter 9: What Are The Odds?

Bonnie stares through the window, leaning on the windowsill. He doesn't want to sit and do nothing today for some reason so he's trying to convince himself to go out and to the slum but he doesn't know if you'll be available to join. It's a Saturday so work isn't the issue; it's your dad. After Bonnie and you got home yesterday after your shift, your dad was coughing horrifically, struggling to move while becoming angrier because of this. You said that he's had these episodes before and that he'll just be sick for a couple of days, needing to be monitored. Nothing serious. It's times like these when you really realise how much your dad has changed for the worse over the years. It inspires the 'what if' question since there are many factors that could have played a part in this spiral downhill – the main one being what if Des never did anything. Sure your dad would still be older and more feeble, but would he have been better without all that happened. The thing is, however, is that you made a semi-full recovery. The trauma is still there since the mere mention of Des will give you flashbacks and make you panic, but in a way, you're not as bad as your dad. You said it was because your dad has never taken you getting hurt very well, but fifteen years? What happened was awful, no doubt, but the amount of time and healing since then should not have had the effect on your dad it seemingly has.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey, Bon."

You stand next to him while Bonnie continues to stare out into nothing, only pulling your arm to get you closer.

"You ok?" You nudge him.

"I want to do something." He abruptly stands up straight and looks at you.

"I can take you to Roxy and Harry."

"Don't you have to take care of your dad?" Bonnie tilts his head.

You sigh and look behind you. "I can drop you off and then come back."

As if scripted, your dad aggressively coughs from another room and you shake your head.

"Take the medicine!" you call out with a stern voice.

"I did!" He calls back.

"Take another one!"

Your dad audibly groans while you look back at Bonnie, who has a very unimpressed look. A very rare expression for him but it fades rather quickly.

"So do you want to go?" you ask.

"Yeah, but you're staying here."

"Why?"

"Y/n, your dad isn't in any shape to be left alone – even for a short amount of time." Bonnie steps back from the window. "So you are staying here."

"Fair enough."

Bonnie only gives you orders like that to show that there is no chance he is going to change his mind and therefore no point in saying otherwise. You know he himself is not entirely happy that you have to stay since he most likely wants to actually spend time with you without having something happen that gets in the way, but alas. He gives you a long and heartfelt kiss before he leaves to make up for it, however, so you can't help but smile as he exits through the door.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Oh hey! Making this a routine are we?" Roxy says.

"Maybe." Bonnie shuts the door to the slum.

"Where's y/n?"

"She has to take care of her father. He's...a bit sick."

Roxy nods. "Wouldn't be the first time."

Someone runs up to Bonnie out of nowhere and hugs him – almost tackling him down – and when he gets a better look, he finds that it's Penny.

"Sacred~" she murmurs. "Good to know sacred Bonnie is still pure. Hope not dead."