You Don't Owe Us Anything

AN: uwu kinda wanted to do a chapter pretty much based on Jason and what he kinda thought about his family.

An update so soon because I cannot sleep ;.;

Third Person's POV

"So where'd you learn how to play basketball?"

Jason raised an eyebrow as he bounced the ball up and down on the spot, "why do you ask?"

"You're amazing at it!" His friend Valerie complemented, her eyes bright and twinkly with adoration. "Not to mention you're the ace of our school's team."

He paused and thought about it a little, "I guess my Dad taught me initially."

"Oh? Does he play for a team?"

He scoffed and waved it off, "no, nothing like that. You could say he's a quick learner, he's the kind of guy that could see something once and almost immediately excel at it. It's a rare skill I'm envious of really."

"I suppose that's why he's an Avenger right?" She smiled at him and swayed a little from side to side. Over the past year he's been at this school, the two had become close friends and she had broken out of her shell more. Not that he minded, her bubbly personality was charming.

"Yeah ... I suppose so."

10 YEARS AGO

"I know you're around the corner Jason."

The boy jumped, surprised that his parent knew he was there. It seemed as if the man never took his eyes off him. In all honesty it was eerie to the child, the feeling of being watched all the time was enough to make anybody uncomfortable.

"How did you know I was there?" He mumbled as he stepped into the garden the man was in.

His parent chuckled and kept his eyes on him as he threw the basketball in the hoop, it went in and the child's heart fluttered.

"It's a feeling I have."

He pouted a little and stomped his foot, "you're no fun."

"Why? What are you planning on doing behind my back hm?" His Dad teased as he walked over to pick up the basketball. "You should be relieved I'm always watching over you."

Jason wasn't sure how to answer that so he decided to ask about the basketball, "what are you doing?"

"Just shooting the ball, nothing special."

"Why?" He deadpanned and the man laughed a little once again.

Clint then bounced the ball over to him, he managed to catch it with both hands without stumbling back. He stared at the weathered down ball briefly then back towards his parent.

"It's just something I like to do, why don't you try it?"

"It's too high." He mumbled as he stared at the ring that was set up in the backyard.

The man shook his head, "with that attitude then yeah."

Jason frowned, "no it really is too high."

Clint then did a double take of the hoop then to the height of his son. He chuckled nervously and moved to adjust the height of the hoop. The concept of children playing at a lower height completely left his mind.

When the hoop was finally lowered to a more suitable height, Jason tried to shoot it but it hit the rim and fell to the ground.

"How do you get it in?"

"Practice and a little bit of aiming kiddo." His Dad advised and picked up the ball once again. He carried it over and placed it in Jason's hands. "Try doing this."