Chapter XVIII

Evelyn situated herself between Sansa and Arya. She knew that if she didn't, Arya would poke fun at Sansa whenever there was a sign of blood. She wondered greatly where Jaime was. He had left early that morning before she was even up, and she hadn't seen him since. It wasn't like him to miss a tournament.

Evelyn had never attended a tournament before, and she found it vastly amusing.... But only once one of the men got knocked from his horse and then the fight would continue on the ground. Watching the knights ride back and forth on their horse's didn't seem that amusing. Arya suddenly poked her in the ribs, tearing Evelyn's attention from the two knights who had just finished their joust and were heading off the field for the next two.

The little girl pointed her finger with a devilish grin on her face, "Isn't that the Lannister Banner?"

Evelyn turned to look at where Arya was pointing and sure enough, a knight had ridden onto the field, mounted on a pure white horse who trotted like the ground burnt his hooves, the horse's neck arched. Evelyn could tell right away that the horse was a stubborn one, but the rider kept a good hold on the reins, not allowing the horse to get away with too much.

That was when Evelyn's eyes drifted up to the knight and she felt her breathing hitch. There was no mistaking the broad shoulders, athletic build and iron grip on the lance. If she had mistaken those, she didn't mistake the sword that hung at the man's belt.

"Oh, he is so going to be in trouble later," Evelyn muttered, earning a chortle from Arya.

Jaime rode over to where King Robert and the rest of the royal family sat. He bowed his head to Robert, his two siblings as well as his niece and nephews. Then, carefully moving the horse to the side, he stopped right in front of Evelyn who was smiling softly at him, but her eyes were burning blue fire.

Lifting his helmet off his head, Jaime tossed his blond hair out of his eyes and smirked at his wife who wished that he wasn't on his horse or she would have smacked him. However, she couldn't help but smile when she saw the light in Jaime's eyes and how handsome he looked in his armor, on his horse with a smile on his face. Evelyn slowly rose from her seat and walked to the edge of the box, so she was about two to three feet from Jaime. She reached into her hair and didn't care that Sansa was probably mentally screaming at her, as she pulled out her golden ribbon. She reached forward and tied the ribbon around Jaime's wrist, only to see that he was wearing the blue and golden ribbon she had given him when she was little, when he had first asked for her favor.

Leaning over, she planted a soft kiss on his cheek, knowing that her father was probably seething as was Cersei, but she didn't care, letting her lips brush his ear, "Please come back to me in once piece."
Jaime chuckled as she drew away, smiling softly at her. He knew that she had said that earnestly, the worry evident in her eyes. Reaching up he let his gloved hand brush her cheek before he reached down and took her hand in his, bringing it to his lips.

"I wouldn't miss tonight for the world," He whispered against her hand, just loud enough for her to hear.

Evelyn knew her cheeks were probably glowing crimson, but she didn't care as Jaime smirked at her before riding off. When she returned to her seat, her father had a stone expression, but his eyes were smiling at her.

"Now you're hair is messed up," Sansa whispered to her but seemed to forget about it. "That was so romantic Eve! Just like when we were little, and we met him for the first time on the road with Uncle Benjen!"

Evelyn smiled. Sansa didn't know that Evelyn had met him earlier than that, but she decided that was a story for another time.

Arya tapped her shoulder, "What did he whisper to you?"
Evelyn froze. She couldn't seem to get the words out as she remembered the warmth of Jaime's breath on her hand, his intense gaze and smoldering smirk.