Chapter 20

Evelyn was snapped out of a perfectly peaceful sleep by Sansa bursting through the door. Evelyn sat up startled and realized that Arya had slipped into bed again and was lying next to her.... but Jaime wasn't there. It had been over a week since he had been given the okay to 'move' but this was the first morning he had left before saying good morning to Evelyn.

"Ugh," The girl groaned, "What's wrong Sansa?"

"I cannot find father anywhere!" Sansa cried. "And Littlefinger is acting really weird."
Evelyn frowned. She didn't like Littlefinger. He was a little too shifty for her liking. Arya was awake now and rubbing the sleep out of her eyes.

"I'm sure he's probably talking to Jof.... King Joffrey," Evelyn replied, hating the sound of Joffrey's title coming off her tongue. Even though he was her husband's son, Joffrey was a brat.

"Come on," Evelyn said, climbing out of bed and wrapping in her cloak, pulling Arya to her feet. "Let's go look for him."

The three girls were halfway down the hallway when the Hound and five other guards approached them, blocking their departure.

"What is going on?" Evelyn asked, planting herself between the men and her sisters.

"Lord Tyrion has been captured by Lady Catelyn," the Hound explained.

"Tyrion!?" the three girls cried, shocked.

Evelyn suddenly felt her heart drop. Jaime! Did Jaime know? He would be infuriated!
"Where is our father?" Arya demanded, asking the obvious.

The Hound frowned, "He staged a coup against the king. He has been arrested."
Sansa let out a high-pitched cry while Arya gasped. Evelyn quickly wrapped an arm around each of their shoulders and drew them close.

She shot the Hound a harsh look, warning him to answer her or she would be angry, "Where is Jaime?"

"The Kingslayer has disappeared."

******

"I am Eddard Stark, lord of Winterfell and Hand of the king." Ned announced, not wavering once. "I come before you to confess my treason."
"no," Evelyn breathed from where she stood in the crowd, Baelor's hand on her shoulder. "Don't say it.... Joffrey will not pardon you."
"Quiet," Baelor whispered. "Do you want to die with him?"
"In the sights of gods and men," Ned continued. "I betrayed the faith of my king and the trust of my friend Robert. I sword to defend and protect his children but before his blood was cold, I plotted to murder his son."
'You're not in the wrong father,' Evelyn thought, 'Joffrey isn't his son! You kept your promise! Robert has no children for you to protect!'

"And seize the throne for myself," Ned added, earning yells from the crowd. "Let the high Septon and Baelor the Blessed witness to what I say. Joffrey Baratheon is the one true heir to the Iron Throne. By the grace of all the gods, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm."

The Septon then began to speak, "As we sin, so do we suffer. This man has confessed his crimes in the sight of gods and men. The gods are just, but beloved Baelor taught us they can also be merciful. What is to be done with this traitor your grace?"

Evelyn shook her head, "Don't ask Joffrey, he will kill him!"
Baelor was the only one who heard this whisper but he gripped her shoulder to tell her to be quiet.

"My mother wishes me to have this man join the Night's Watch," Joffrey announced. "Stripped of all titles and lands, he would serve the realm in permanent exile. And Lady Sansa has begged for mercy for her father. But they have the soft hearts of women. So long as I am king, treason will never go unpunished."
'You little snake,' Evelyn breathed. 'You do not have the heart of a man but the heart of stone!'