Chapter 14

Evelyn stood standing next to her horse, staring at Winterfell. Would she ever see it again? Probably not for a while... a few years give or take. She looked over at where Arya and Sansa were seated in the wagon and Jaime was saddling his horse not far away.... He was her family now.... She would wake every morning to him and fall asleep next to him....

"Eve," a familiar voice said.

Evelyn turned to see Jon and Robb standing there. The sight of the two brought tears to her eyes. She might not see Robb for a while, but she may never see Jon again. He was joining the Night's Watch. Who knows when they would meet again.

Evelyn brought Robb into a tight hug before letting a few tears fall into his jacket.

"Take care of Sansa and Arya. Please take care of yourself," Robb whispered.

Evelyn nodded before forcing a smile, "Don't forget to write. I know you're not the writing type, but it would mean the world."
Robb smiled and nodded, "I'll force myself to write you every week."
Evelyn chuckled before turning to Jon. The boy was on the verge of tears, so she brought him into a desperate hug.

"Don't do anything stupid. Stay strong... be you," she whispered in his ear.

Jon nodded and smiled, wiping the tears from his eyes. Evelyn brought her fist up and Jon smiled, giving her a fist bump.

"I'll miss you two knuckleheads. Robb.... If Bran wakes up.... Tell him I miss him and tell him to write immediately."
Robb nodded, "I will."
The girl then felt two little arms around her legs and saw Rickon bury his face in her waist. Evelyn got down on her knees and wrapped her little brother in a tight hug.

"Stay safe okay?" she whispered, "Listen to Robb and mother. Keep an eye on Bran for me."
Rickon nodded against her shoulder before sniffling, "I love you Evie!"
This brought a smile to her face before she ruffled his hair and smiled, "I love you too little wolf."
With that she mounted up and turned to look at her brothers. Gosh she was going to miss them!

She sensed a presence behind her and turned to see Jaime also on his horse, a smile on his face.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

Evelyn nodded, "I will be."
Jaime smiled before reaching over to grip her hand, "You'll see them again... all of them."
The girl found herself smiling at those words, but she didn't know whether to believe them or not.

*******

It had been two very long weeks they had been on the road. It seemed that it would never end and for Jaime, it was pure torture. Evelyn wouldn't come to bed until Arya was asleep and that was sometimes not until midnight for Arya would have Evelyn sing her a song to get her to sleep and sometimes three! Evelyn would then return to the tent that she shared with Jaime and would change silently behind a curtain before coming to bed and turning with her back to Jaime.

Jaime had forced himself to not draw her into a hug every time he saw her pull the sheets over her shoulder. He would occupy himself petting Zinzi who had become tolerant of him until he got tired and fell asleep himself. In the morning Evelyn was always up before him having walked around camp, brushed her horse and packed up most of her things already. Jaime thought he was an early riser... but not anymore.

One particular evening Jaime was trying to build up the courage to ask Sansa to give Evelyn a break and put Arya to bed so he could at least talk with Evelyn before she fell asleep. He was pacing back and forth in front of his tent, sometimes walking all the way around the tent which earned a puzzled look from Tyrion who was sitting outside his own tent nearby, reading.