Chapter Twelve

'Rise and shine my lady'. The deep rumbling voice of Brisingr announced in Evelyn's ear.

The girl sat up with a start, awaking Lady who had fallen asleep with her head on Evelyn's stomach. Lady's movements awoke Zinzi who had her back against Lady's and with Calum being between Zinzi's paws, he awoke as well.

The dragon purred in amusement as the four roused themselves, Ace still sound asleep on the little rock jutting from the wall of the cave that he had claimed as his own. Evelyn sighed when she realized that sometime in the night, she had rolled off her bed mat and had slept on the cold stone floor of the cave. Luckily though, the floor was smooth.

Unlike any other cave in the whole of Westeros, the cave of the Temple of Fire had a perfectly round interior, looking like a large half sphere with a single circle opening in the ceiling, letting in a perfect pillar of light into the very center. The walls and floor were so smooth that they looked like marble... but a rich red marble. Small cut out holes lined the walls, each filled with a different object be it food, a potted plant or simply a pretty rock. A collection of things Brisingr had gathered.

'You will need this'. Brisingr stated, dropping a small object onto Evelyn's lap. The girl saw that it was fabric... bright red and light but luckily not see through. It was one long, slender strip and the other was thicker and shorter. She glanced down at herself that was now garbed only in her undergarments and wrapped in her cloak. She had left a second outfit of her black attire with Chance... but this will have to do for now. Grabbing the long piece of cloth, she wound it around her chest and found that it was just enough to wrap around her neck to secure it and then around her chest and part of her stomach, leaving a section of her belly showing. Lastly, she took the squarer shaped piece and wrapped it around her waist before tying two corners together at her left hip.

Satisfied, she stood up and turned to Lady and Zinzi who had dozed back to sleep with Calum.

'If you want to know how you can control and manipulate your element, you must learn strength and boldness. There will be multiple exercises you must complete every day for a week before you will begin to feel the effects of your element.'

"Fire you mean," Evelyn observed. "But I have encountered... some odd things... I cannot seem to get burnt... and I am never thirsty... actually... I prefer drinking hot water if anything."

Brisingr nodded. 'That is natural. You see, you were born with this power my lady. You have been the bearer of fire since you first entered this world... you just never realized it. In your being raised in the north, it was easy to hide your natural gifts such as resilience to heat and the sun's energy. This also helped in the lack of development of your powers. Let us begin.'

When Evelyn imagined training to learn how to manipulate fire, she wasn't expecting what Brisingr had her do. First, she was made to run 4 miles through the dunes, barefoot, through the soft sand. The feat of running 4 miles usually only took her a few minutes but with the lack of footwear to help with traction and the way her feet sunk in the sand, she was at it three times as long. When she finished, the bottoms of her feet were raw and bleeding out on the sand as she fell onto the cool stone of the cave interior.

'Good start'. The dragon told her.

Evelyn snorted. "Good start? How am I going to do anything with these!?" she asked, holding up her feet.

The dragon peered at the bottoms of her feet and when Evelyn got the feeling something was up, she glanced at her feet, only to see that the bloody rawness was completely gone... her feet were as they were that morning!