Chapter 8

Robb was staring with his mouth hanging open and his eyes wide. Evelyn stood in front of him, before the royal family and Ser Jaime. Tyrion was standing at his brother's chair, a pleased look on his face. Cersei looked like someone had eaten her breakfast. The king was grinning from ear to ear and Jaime had his usual cocky smirk on.

Evelyn was the only one who seemed to have no reaction. She stood silently next to Sansa and Robb, her amber eyes flitting between her parents and the king. She had a calm, placid look on her face as if someone had just confirmed that she was a girl and not a boy.

"Evelyn is going to be what?" Robb asked, his voice laced with venom and disbelief.

"She will be married to my brother," Cersei hissed, hating that she had to admit the truth.

"I am releasing Jaime from the Kingsguard so he will be compatible for marriage," the king explained. "it is your choice my child."

Evelyn titled her head in confusion at this and Jaime couldn't help but smile at the almost childish look in her eyes, "My choice?"

Robert nodded, "You will not be forced into anything. You may choose to accept Ser Jaime, or refuse. Your wish will be seen to."

Evelyn knew that her twin brother was mentally praying on his hands and knees that she would refuse but the girl was quicker to notice the catch. If she didn't marry, Sansa couldn't we Joffrey. She didn't know if the king had thought of that, or if it had never crossed his mind but Evelyn knew her answer she wished she could say.... So, she said the thing that everyone, including herself (minus Sansa, Tyrion, Jaime and Robert) wanted to hear.

"I accept the proposal," she replied with a deadpan look.

Jaime felt his heart soar at those words. She agreed to it! She wanted to marry him! But then he took in the girl's pale face, her quivering bottom lip that only someone like Jaime would notice, the way her eyes looked everywhere but at Jaime... and how she was clutching her skirt. She didn't really agree... she was saying it not for the reasons Jaime had hoped.

Then he realized that she had noticed the catch. He had asked Robert not to mention Sansa and Joffrey's engagement in the hopes Evelyn would speak her mind. The girl was smarter than he gave her credit for.

Evelyn excused herself and left the room with Sansa and her mother close behind. Robb lingered behind before approaching Jaime.

"A word Kingslayer."

Jaime could tell that the tone of Robb's voice and the way he used Jaime's hated title, it wasn't a question. Nodding his head, Jaime followed the young Stark outside. The moment they were out, Robb had spun to face Jaime, his eyes blazing with the same blue fire that Jaime had seen in Evelyn.

"You know Evelyn could easily refuse later and the king would agree," the boy spat.

Jaime felt his heart clench at this. He hadn't thought that far and now he did, he knew it to be true.

Robert practically worshiped Evelyn because of her resemblance to Lyanna.

"Evelyn might be doing this for Sansa's sake, but I know the truth about you," Robb growled. "how you have never stayed true to a vow. There is not a man in Winterfell who wouldn't give their life to see you dead should you harm Eve." (Just a note. Evelyn's nickname: Eve isn't pronounced: Ee-v but rather Eh-v-ie)

Jaime nodded. He knew where Robb was getting, and he honestly didn't blame the boy. The tall man bowed to the young Stark wolf, shocking the boy.

"I promise you. I swear on all the good left in the world that I will never harm your sister."

Robb crossed his arms as Jaime rose to his normal height, "There is very little good left in this world."

Jaime smirked, "Then what do you need as proof Robb Stark?"

Robb thought a moment before meeting Jaime's eyes steadily with his, "Swear on all that you still love and respect in this world that you will honor my sister and remain loyal to her."
A smile appeared on Jaime's face before he placed his hand over his chest where his heart was, "I swear on all that I still love and respect in this world that I will honor and remain loyal to your sister."

Robb nodded stiffly, "Good enough."
Clasping his hands behind his back, Robb walked off before stopping and glancing at Jaime over his shoulder, "For now."

Jaime smirked as he watched the young Stark boy leave. He honestly wasn't surprised at the boy's protectiveness over his sister, but he was amazed at how much of Evelyn he saw in Robb.... Or how much of Robb he saw in Evelyn.

"Pestering, aren't they?" a familiar voice asked from behind.

Jaime turned around to see Cersei standing there alone a smug look on her face.

"You know it is rude to eavesdrop." Jaime pointed out.

Cersei raised her eyebrows, "When the boy was being soooo earnest?"

Jaime frowned. He could usually handle his sister's sarcastic remarks but for some reason, now they were just annoying and really ridiculous. Anyone could see that Robb was indeed earnest.... Well anyone but Cersei.

Rolling his eyes, Jaime was about to walk off when Cersei grabbed his wrist to stop his departure.

Jaime turned toward his sister, an agitated and impatient look on his face, "What?"

Cersei took a seductive step toward him and ran her fingers up his arm, "Meet me in the high tower later this afternoon."

Jaime glared at his sister and wrenched his arm out of her grasp, "We cannot do this anymore Cersei. I'm engaged to be wed, and you are already married."
"That never stopped us before," Cersei replied, tightening her grip on his arm.

"Well it will now," Jaime replied. "We cannot do it anymore."
Cersei frowned and let go of Jaime but blocked his departure by planting herself in front of him, "You mean we cannot.... Or you don't want to? Which is it Jaime?"

Jaime turned to look away from Cersei and right away she knew the answer, "What is so great about that girl that you no longer have the interest in me?"

"Because I made a vow to Robb Stark that I would remain loyal to his sister and I intend to keep it," Jaime replied before holding up his hand to interrupt Cersei's next remark, "But I am also doing it for Evelyn, not just because of the vow I made to Robb Stark."
"Oh this all sucks," Cersei growled. "of all the reasons.... Wait...."
Jaime at once felt uncomfortable as his sister took a step forward and stared into his eyes as if trying to read his mind.

"Don't tell me you've fallen for her!" Cersei hissed. "You love me and no one else!"
Jaime rolled his eyes, "I never once said that I loved you. You manipulated me from birth to believe that it was love."
"Did the Stark twins get to you?" Cersei hissed. "Did their innocent, brother/sister relationship give you ideas?"
"What if it did!?" Jaime snapped. "They know more about the beauty and innocence of family in their few years than we know and we're almost twice their age!"
"At least one of us wishes to remain loyal to our spouse," he snapped before turning around.

Cersei smirked, "What if I promised to make your life a living hell if you don't, Jaime?"

The knight turned and gave his sister a cold scowl, "You wouldn't. If you said anything about us, you would be condemned too."
Cersei shrugged, "As long as I can take you down with me, I don't care."
"You've gotten sick Cersei," he spat.

The woman smirked, "What will it be? You meet me and I keep quiet, or your innocent future bride will her the extent of your sins."
Jaime sighed. There was no way out of this one.

"Fine," He huffed, "But not tonight."
Cersei sneered, "Don't think about running Jaime. I'll be waiting to collect my payment two weeks from today."
"Two weeks from today?" the man asked, "What is so special about two weeks from today?"
The woman sauntered off but not before answering him, "The day before your wedding.