Chapter XIV

Talisa wrapped up a package of bread and cheese into a handkerchief before holding it out to the girl. Evelyn took it and slipped it into her satchel before clipping it shut. She strapped up her larger bag which had lost some weight after she had turned some of her own clothes into things for Calum.

She turned around to see Talisa holding out a bundle of black clothes to the girl and Evelyn smiled, slowly taking the clothes from her. Silently she slipped behind the curtain in the corner of the tent and began to pull on the outfit. Black pants clung snuggly to her legs while a matching shirt brought out her now defined hips and bosom which, thankfully, hadn't grown too much during her pregnancy.

Over her shirt she strapped a leather corset light jacket which she laced up in the front snuggly but not too tight. Over her feet she pulled up knee high brown boots which she laced up all the way and then taking a cord of leather, wound it around the boot all the way up to keep them snug to her legs. Over her shoulders and wrists, she wrapped thick leather paddings that blended rather well into the rest of her outfit before pulling on fingerless gloves. She then took the two she had crafted from her two spare blocks of steel and strapped their sheaths to her legs, one on each. Lastly, she grabbed the black cloak and clipped it around her neck, keeping the hood down.

She finally emerged from behind the curtain to find Robb and her mother there as well. Robb was holding her iron bow and her quiver of blue shafted arrows, Talisa held Calum while Catelyn held a small parcel.

Silently, Evelyn approached Robb first who was closer. He held out her bow and arrows to her which she took. She strapped the quiver around her belt before slipping the bow onto her back. She then turned to see that Robb had tears appearing in his blue eyes. Reaching up, she wrapped her arms around him and hugged her twin tightly.

Robb buried his face in her shoulder and let the tears fall, his shoulders racking with sobs.

"I said goodbye to you once already," Evelyn whispered, "In Winterfell."
Robb nodded, "But that was different. Now, I have no way of knowing if I'll ever see you again."
Evelyn smiled and stepping back, kissed his forehead gently, "You will."
Without another word she stepped over to her mother who held out the parcel to her. Evelyn took it and unfolded the small handkerchief to find a small leather arm cuff with the Stark wolf etched into the brown leather.

"Thank you," she said before hugging her mother goodbye.

Lastly, she stepped over to Talisa who gave her a hug before holding out Calum to her. Evelyn gently took her sleeping son into her arms before allowing Talisa to help her slip on the baby and place the baby in it, so the boy was nuzzled against her chest.

Evelyn grabbed her satchel, slinging it over her shoulder before grabbing the handle of her bag. She let out a soft whistle and the two wolves got up from their places at the fireplace. She turned back to look at her mother, brother and her sister-in-law. Finally, smiling at them, she slipped out of the tent into the darkened camp.

Robb had asked to come see her off, but Evelyn had pointed out that it might rouse suspicion and her going alone with the wolves and Calum would already be risky enough. She needed to leave without anyone knowing she was leaving. The only ones who would know the truth about her 'death' would be Robb, her mother and Talisa.

Evelyn silently crept directly to the back of the camp and away from the light of torches and campfires. She found where Robb had tied Chance to a nearby tree. The young horse was alert, having already gotten food and plenty of water for the night until they stopped. Robb had told her the safest thing to do was journey at least ten miles away from the camp before stopping. With a horse, it shouldn't take but a few hours.

The horse perked up at the appearance of Evelyn and the two wolves. Zinzi and Lady both stood guard, watching the camp carefully while Evelyn tied her larger bag to the back of Chance's saddle. In order for no one to miss Chance or the saddle, Evelyn had asked Robb to use just a simple leather pad that would go over a cushioning pad, tied down with a wide soft belt and a cloth harness instead of a one with a bit. That way they could travel quieter and they were more comfortable for Chance and easier to replace.

After tying it down, Evelyn looked down to see that Calum was still asleep, soft gurgling snores coming from his parted little lips. Smiling at her son, she bent down and planted a kiss on his soft forehead before grabbing the edge of the sling and placing over his head so that the wind created by riding Chance wouldn't rouse him.

Grasping Chance's saddle, she swung up gently and silently before untying Chance's reins from the tree and gripping them in one hand. She turned the horse around so that they were facing the dark of the forest before gently calling Zinzi and Lady. The two wolves turned their backs on the camp and came to flank Chance's side, ready to leave.

Evelyn paused, turning in her saddle slightly to look back at the camp. A strange foreboding feeling came over her.... like she was leaving something behind.... Permanently. She had the same gut feeling when she said farewell to Shae in Kings Landing....like she would never see them again.

Shaking it off, Evelyn smiled back at the camp, "I'll miss you. Stay safe."
With that, she turned around to face the same direction as Chance before gently pressing her heels into the side of the horse's stomach to urge him forward. Silently the three shapes, one twice as large as the other two, slunk into the dark of the forest.

Somewhere in the woods, Brienne of Tarth was leaning against a tree, silently listening to Jaime snoring quietly nearby. However, the silence was broken when the Kingslayer sat up with a start and a slight cry.

"What?" The woman asked, not surprised for it wasn't the first time the man had woken up from a nightmare.

Jaime frowned. His dream had been so strange. He had been dreaming of the first time he met Evelyn.... In the alleyway after finding her beating up bullies.... But then it had changed. He had turned around to find himself looking at Evelyn.... Older....mounted on a horse before she smiled at him and rode away.... he had tried to follow but had woken up before he could.

"Nothing," he whispered before turning over and laying back down. "It was just a dream."

Hey all!!!!!! I hope you are all staying healthy and social distancing! Anyway, the next few chapters will be entirely a flash back:) Just FYI!