Chapter XIII

All was silent in the camp that evening. Robb and Talisa were nowhere to be found, Catelyn Stark sound asleep and Evelyn seated in her tent. Calum was lying in a basket that Robb had procured for the little boy so Evelyn didn't fear that he would roll off the bed in his sleep.

The boy was making soft cooing noise which seemed to intrigue Lady who was laying by the basket, her nose resting on the side of the basket, her eyes fixed on the sleeping baby. Zinzi was laying at Evelyn's feet, listening to her owner's heartbeat which she could hear through the girl's leg.

Evelyn finished what she was stitching and held up the shirt. It was a little large for Calum, having been Jaime's when he was probably a toddler. However, she had brought in the neck so it wouldn't slip down Calum's shoulders and she had tied the hems together, so it was like a baby sack. Standing up, she walked over to the basket and looked down at her sleeping son. He was about a week old now and had rounded out a bit. His face was no longer red or wrinkly but plump and full of expression.

Gently, without rousing him, she unwound his blanket and slipped the shirt onto him, buttoning up the front. Grabbing a extra strip of cloth she had taken off the bottom of the shirt, she tied it around his little round waist so that it wouldn't be so baggy. The little boy shifted in his sleep before burying his nose into the cushion of the basket, sighing contentedly.

"Now you can fall asleep to your father's scent," Evelyn whispered. "I always found it soothing. It helped me sleep too...."
Zinzi seemed to sense her owner's change in mood and nuzzled her head against her neck in comfort. Evelyn smiled at the wolf, quickly wiping the growing tears from her eyes.

"I'm alright Zinzi."
Zinzi gave her a look as if not believing that statement so Evelyn smiled, "Okay.... I'm not alright now, but I will be.... one day."
Evelyn walked back to her chair and began to put away the sewing material. She wasn't going to stay here long. She had already been in Robb's camp for at least six months. She was going to give Calum just a few more days to strengthen before she was on her way. She had begun to train the colt Robb had given her which she had named Chance.

He was a strong young colt, probably almost a year old and big enough to ride even though he hadn't reached his maximum size. In the short time Evelyn had him, she had managed to teach him to not make any noise unless he heard a specific whistle from her.

Evelyn paused, her hands hovering over the box of sewing materials. She heard a sound nearby.... But it wasn't the usual sound. She looked over at Zinzi to see that the wolf had also heard it as well as Lady. Both had gotten to their feet, Lady turning to stand over the cradle in a protective manner while Zinzi planted herself between Evelyn and the doorway.

The noise disappeared.... but Evelyn was sure she heard something. She felt a strange shiver run down her spine and at first thought it was from her nerves.... then something else caught her attention.

Robb and Talisa had just returned from their secret marriage in the woods when they heard a commotion in Evelyn's tent. Talisa parted the flap to check to see if the girl needed anything when she gasped. Robb pushed through at that sound and both stared in shock. Evelyn was standing on the other side of the room with Zinzi growling at her side. A man was lying on the floor of the room with an arrow straight through his heart.... and another man standing frozen next to a large hole in the tent that had been cut. Lady was standing over the now crying Calum, growling at the dead man who was just a foot away from the baby.

"Eve?" Robb asked.

Evelyn didn't look at him but kept her eyes fixed on the one remaining man, another arrow loaded onto her iron bow, "This thing actually works." She replied in a calm tone.

Robb quickly drew his sword approaching the remaining man, pinned him down, quickly tying his hands off with rope. It took him a moment, but he finally recognized the man as one of his deserters.

"What are you doing back here? And in my sister's tent?"
"We heard that there was a reward for the capture of Evelyn Stark, wife of the Kingslayer," the man replied.

Robb's eyes widened; Talisa gasped but Evelyn frowned.

"Cersei," she growled. "What else did you hear?"
"That was it," The man replied before Robb yanked him to his feet. He pushed the man out of the tent and returned a moment later, finding Talisa and Evelyn draping a tarp over the dead man's body.

Talisa scurried over to calm down the crying Calum while Evelyn turned to her brother, "Robb, I think it's time I left."
Both Talisa and Robb froze at those words.

"WHAT!?"

Evelyn nodded, "Just like that man said, Cersei wants me dead. The best thing to keep Calum and Jaime safe is to get out of here.... There is something I need you to do for me though."
"Anything," Robb replied, hugging his sister, "But are you sure you need to leave?"
Evelyn nodded against his chest and Robb sighed, hugging her tighter, "I am going to miss you."
Evelyn smiled and wrapped her arms around him, "Nah you won't. You'll be too busy with your new wife."
Robb tensed at those words and Talisa's eyes widened but Evelyn just chuckled, "I'm not that stupid! I am your sister after all!"

Robb chuckled before kissing her hair and stepping back to look at her, "What do you need me to do?"

Evelyn sighed, looking over at Calum who had fallen back to sleep thanks to Lady's soft purring noises, "I need you to stage a death."
Robb frowned, "The death of the two deserters?"
Evelyn shook her head, "No, mine."