Chapter Fourteen

Talisa's ear-piercing scream split through the silence that usually gilded the lonely woods. Calum whimpered from the foreign sound and clutched to Zinzi's fur as the direwolf soothed him with gentle grumbles in her throat like a cat purring. Lady buried her head in her paws to drown out the noise, the high-pitched shrieks hurting her sensitive ears.

Evelyn continued to gently sooth Talisa with a firm grip to the hand and encouraging words as the brunette fought the pain and contractions.

"Out of curiosity," Talisa panted when she took a break from pushing. "From what you told me of your past year, did you ever witness another birth other than Calum's?"

Evelyn shrugged, "I saw my husband's amputated arm being burnt... which was pretty ugly... so that sorta counts... sorta... and apparently every time I give birth to a child, I also birth dragons so that's interesting."

Talisa whimpered as another contraction hit her and she began to push again. "You raised... a child... in the wilderness... with dire wolves, a horse... and an owl as your support... that is more than any woman could say for their feats of motherhood."

Evelyn smirked, "Well my mother raised children... a girl who is more boy than girl, a son who is paralyzed waist down, a son who was king in the North, a daughter who is betrothed to a weasel of a king and another daughter who married a man sworn to never wed and turns out to be the mother of dragons... so I have a ways to go."

As Evelyn moved to grab the water and towels, Talisa grabbed her hand.

"Promise me... Eve... that if I do not outlive this... that you will take care of Robb's child."

Evelyn turned her shocked eyes upon Talisa, "You will not die! Don't say things like that!"

Talisa whimpered when Evelyn located her knife and began to clean and sanitize it.

"Evelyn... this child is six months early. The chances of either of us surviving are slim. No child born this early has been known to survive but Evelyn, you have done the impossible... you are the impossible. If anyone can ensure the survival of the child, it is you. You still nurse Calum, so you have the means... but if it ever comes to prioritizing the health and survival of either of us, please choose the baby over me."

"Let's work on getting the baby out first yeah?" Evelyn choked out.

Talisa began to push again and Evelyn prepared the towels. When the tiny babe slipped into Evelyn's awaiting arms, the girl's first thought was how could a baby be so small?

Barely the size of a small melon, the baby was 6-7 inches long if he was stretched out, fitting perfectly in Evelyn's hands like a puppy.

The little boy was covered in blood and liquid but his features were beginning to develop. His fingers clenched and his eyes fluttered but his lashes had not grown in and he was as bald as an egg. Was it just that the baby was unusually strong or had the blood Evelyn infused into Talisa strengthened the child?

His little fists clutched at the air as he cried out, face twisted in agony. Evelyn turned to Talisa and froze. The girl's face was so pale it looked deathly, her lips carrying no color and her eyes looked void of life.

"Is it a boy?" Talisa whispered hoarsely.

Evelyn nodded and Talisa smiled, "Robb would have been so happy... please... protect little Robb... his name is Robb Eddard Stark."

Evelyn sat down next to Talisa and made to hand her the boy but Talisa's eyes fluttered closed and her chest stopped rising. Holding little Robb in one hand (literally), Evelyn reached over and felt for a pulse... a breath... anything...