Chapter 10

Evelyn tightly strapped her sword to her saddle and made sure that it wouldn't get in the way of her horse's movements. She had learnt from her father that even if one was just going hunting, it never hurt to come prepared. She had a bow strapped to her back with a quiver of arrows on the other side of her saddle. Her hunting knife was in her belt and a spare dagger in her boot.

Evelyn usually felt more at ease when she went hunting with her family because it meant she didn't have to wear a dress but with the way that Cersei was giving her disgusted looks and Joffrey was ogling at her, she felt like she wanted run in and ask Sansa for a spare riding dress.

She was just about to lose her cool when Myrcella and Tommen approached. Tommen wore a simple outfit of dark brown leather while Myrcella wore a deep green riding dress.

"Is hunting here different than in Kings Landing?" Myrcella inquired.

Evelyn smiled, "I wouldn't know. I have never been to Kings Landing... but we have slightly larger animals."

Tommen's eyes widened, "Bears?"
Evelyn nodded, "and cougars, panthers, mountain lions.... Boars...."
Myrcella had begun to grow pale while Tommen was listening with rapt attention. Evelyn chuckled and ruffled Tommen's hair playfully before turning to Myrcella.

"So, who are you riding today?"

Myrcella's face lit up at this, "The stable man gave me a black horse. Said he was the gentlest."
Evelyn looked over at the black horse that stood behind Myrcella and smiled, "That is Ruse. My siblings and I all learnt to ride on him. He won't let you fall I can guarantee that."
"Myrcella doesn't really fall off," Tommen remarked, mounting his horse, "She just gets lost."
Myrcella stuck her tongue out at her brother, "Says the guy who never manages to hit anything!"

"Alright you two," Evelyn chuckled, bending down next to Myrcella's horse, "No more bickering."
Myrcella looked down at the girl who held her palms out for Myrcella to climb on. the girl looked slightly hesitant and Evelyn knew that the girl was puzzled as to why Evelyn was doing it.

"My father taught me that a noble who sees himself or herself above his people isn't a noble at all," she replied with a smile.

Myrcella smiled and was about to use Evelyn's hand as a boost when she paused, "Could you teach me to mount like Tommen does then?"

Evelyn smiled and rose to her feet before nodding, "Grab onto the back of the saddle while holding the reins and the horn in your other. Put your left foot in the stirrup and pull up."
Myrcella tried but got tangled in her skirt the first time. Soon she managed to mount with a little help from Evelyn.

"I did it!" Myrcella cried happily, "Uncle Jaime!!!!!"
Evelyn felt her face slightly pale when Myrcella called over her uncle. She hadn't spoken to Ser Jaime since she had agreed to the engagement and had barely seen him either.

Jaime approached, leading his white horse by the reins and looked up at his young niece, "What's going on Myrcella?"

"I mounted Ruse like Tommen!" the girl cried, smiling from ear to ear.

Jaime raised his eyebrows in amusement and flashed his famous cocky smirk, "Indeed? Whatever for?"

"Evelyn said that the noble who sees herself as greater than her people isn't a noble at all," Myrcella remarked, not realizing that she was putting Evelyn at the center of attention which was the one place Evelyn didn't want to be.

Jaime glanced over at his future wife with an intrigued look, his smirk fading into a more of a soft grin. "Is that so?"

Evelyn turned away from Ser Jaime and approached her horse. Jaime watched her as she finished tightening the cinch on her saddle. He had to admit that the outfit she wore really suited her and accented her petite, slender form but he realized that unlike most teenagers her age, her body was more matured and womanlier with defined hips and finely built chest. Of course, the calf length leather skirt of her outfit hid her legs from view, but Jaime guessed that they weren't skinny either. He had to remind himself that even though Evelyn was young, she was still a woman. Not a child.