Chapter 15

"Keep your feet moving," Jaime called.

Evelyn and Jaime were watching Tommen and Podrick spar together. They had arrived in King's Landing the day before and it had been several weeks since the incident with Nymeria and Lady. Since then, Evelyn has come back to the tent earlier and she would talk with Jaime for a while before they would both fall asleep, Jaime holding her in his sleep.

Tommen obeyed his uncle and began to move his feet more, making it easier for him to block a strike or strike his own. Evelyn smiled at the boy and leant her head against Jaime's shoulder as she sat with him on the steps near the courtyard.

Jaime didn't move but a huge grin lit up his face and he found it difficult to pay attention to his nephew. However, it was short lived for Myrcella's voice caught Evelyn's attention.

"Evelyn!" The girl cried, rushing toward her, "look what I found!"
Evelyn got up and walked over to the girl who was holding out her cupped hands to Evelyn. The girl looked down and saw that Myrcella had found a baby bird. It was fully feathered and probably fledged but looked injured.

"Poor thing," Myrcella said, "Her mother was dead... a racoon found her."
Evelyn nodded and took the bird into her hands, "He isn't hurt bad. Just a bruised wing. Get him comfortable, make sure he is warm and can get to water."
"What about food?" Myrcella asked, "What if he wont eat?"
The girl was right. Birds usually didn't eat the things that people gave them, so she thought, "crumble some dry bread for him. If he doesn't eat it, let me know. I might have something."
Myrcella nodded and took the bird carefully in her hands before Evelyn was called again.

"Evie!" Tommen yelled, "Come spar with me!"
Evelyn smiled. After Tommen had heard Arya call her Evie, he had asked if he could call her that as well and the girl had allowed it. It reminded her of Rickon and Bran and honestly, she found herself liking it. The girl headed over to the courtyard and Podrick held out the blunted practice sword to her. Evelyn took it and swung it a few times, testing the balance.

While she was spinning it in her hand, Tommen made a shot at her, but Evelyn lifted the sword and blacked it without even flinching. A smirk appeared on her face before she pushed against the blow, pushing Tommen back.

"So that's how you're going to play huh?"
Evelyn made a side swipe at Tommen, but he managed to block it before Evelyn laid another blow on his other side, Tommen just barely blocking that one. Podrick, Jaime and Tyrion were watching the two lay blows with amused looks on their faces.

Tommen laid a downward upper body blow on Evelyn and with Tommen standing about the same height as Evelyn, if not slightly taller, it looked like Tommen had the upper hand. Evelyn however smiled and lifted her right arm up to block the blow, using her arm to stop the sword by pressing her arm against the flat of the blade and used her left hand to point the sword at Tommen's neck.

"I think I win," she smirked.

Tommen's mouth was hanging so low he would have caught flies, but Evelyn stepped back and ruffled his hair playfully with a chuckle before returning the sword to Podrick. She headed off back toward her room in search of Myrcella when she felt someone grab her hand and pull her off in another direction. Evelyn was surprised but relieved when she saw that it was Jaime who was almost dragging her toward the pigeon aviary.

When they got inside, Jaime closed the door and turned to look at her, his eyes slightly confused and excited while he seemed at a loss for words.

"Where did you learn that move?" he asked in a shaky voice.

Evelyn wasn't expecting that but answered all the same, "I learnt it when I was a child from a traveling knight. I met him at a small town a few miles from Winterfell almost ten years ago. He gave me my first sword and taught me that move. He said it was..."
The girl never got to finish for Jaime interrupted then and finished what she was going to say, "It was for the better of the world that someone who wanted the good for people should know how to fight for the good."
Evelyn stared at him with wide amber eyes and her mouth slightly agape, "How did you know?"
Jaime smiled but didn't answer. He just looked at her.... calm blue eyes.... A soft smile.... Then Evelyn saw it. That earnest look.... she had seen it before.... Ten years ago.