Chapter 7

It was silent as the Lannister's broke their fast together with the three Baratheon children. Robert had yet to arrive, having slept in with a hangover from the night before. It was surprisingly quiet at the table with no chit chat between Myrcella and Tommen, whining from Joffrey or even Tyrion making some wittily wise comment.

Jaime honestly enjoyed the silence at the table that particular morning for it meant that he would not get interrupted from his thoughts which were most of the time hard to organize or think about because every second of the day he had someone banging to get his attention.

Cersei noticed Jaime's seemingly calm demeanor and knew that there was something on his mind. However, every time she went to say something, one of her children would whisper something to her and she never got the chance. This of course earned a discreet smirk from Tyrion who seemed to be the only one at the table who had any idea what his older brother was thinking about.

Cersei couldn't seem to forget watching her twin walk into the banquet the night before with Evelyn Stark practically on his arm. And then to see her brother willingly ask the girl to dance without the girl or someone else suggesting it first surprised and infuriated Cersei. She had seen plenty of women in her life who fawned over Jaime, but Evelyn Stark was not one of them. In Cersei's eyes she was still a child, just a little girl compared to her and Jaime who were already in their early thirties. She had never seen Jaime show any interest towards young girls except Myrcella whom he treated gently whenever he could.

The woman couldn't seem to figure out what had possessed Jaime to dance with the Stark girl. Naturally it was a banquet and there was dancing but Jaime was never the dancing type and Cersei didn't fail to notice that Jaime's face was practically alight with happiness whilst he danced but he kept it hidden behind his cocky smirk. Few people knew when Jaime was happy, annoyed or just content. One had to look at his eyes, his posture, how he moved, what he said and even his smirk looked different depending on his mood.

Of course, Cersei had first thought that her brother had offered to dance with the girl to either break boredom or to avoid someone but that wasn't the case for Jaime didn't appear desperate. Cersei had then thought he had done it out of trying to make her jealous. They had been on the road over a month traveling from King's Landing to Winterfell and during that time she and Jaime had no time to spend any alone time together and when they arrived in Winterfell, she expected Jaime to take the first opportunity to find her alone. However, after the banquet with Robert passed out drunk, Cersei had waited almost all night for Jaime, but he never came. Finally, she had gone looking for him, only to find him contentedly sleeping in his room with Tyrion. Tyrion of course was snoring and drunk, but Jaime looked like he was getting the best sleep of his life, a slight smile on his features and his whole body relaxed. Cersei hadn't seen him like that conscious or asleep in many years.

Of course, the thought that maybe her twin really did want to dance with Evelyn Stark, never crossed Cersei's mind. She was confident in herself and sure she had her twin wrapped around her little finger. Needless to say, the woman was completely unaware that her assumption was terribly wrong.

The moment Jaime rode into Winterfell and his blue eyes landed on the jet-black raven hair, fair almost pale complexion, pouty and defiant lips and shining golden eyes, he was gone. It was like someone had turned off his brain and restarted it to refresh it and it had turned back on completely relieved of almost everything in the past, including Cersei.

The first day, Jaime had tried to push the young Stark girl out of his mind, his first reaction being similar to Cersei; thinking that she was just a little girl but after seeing her talk and care for Tommen and Myrcella, her sparring with her brothers and mothering her siblings, he knew that such an assumption was unfair to the girl.