Chapter VI

Evelyn had never felt so sluggish and exhausted as she did as she trudged through the woods behind Zinzi and Lady. They had taken an extra-long break that afternoon for Evelyn's head had begun to swim and the nausea had hit her harder than before.

"How much farther is it?" the girl asked, having lost all form of comprehending how far they had walked.

Her question was answered when Lady stilled and lifted her nose to the air and Zinzi bristled, letting out a guttural growl. Evelyn looked up and cocked her head to the side to get a better ear to the wind. Sure enough, she heard the heavy steps of men's booted feet and she smiled.

Lady let out a loud bark while Zinzi planted herself firmly in front of her owner, allowing the fur on her back to bristle and stand on end while she arched her back like a cat.

The person appeared from the undergrowth and proved to be a stranger, but Evelyn knew that he was a member of her brother's army. He wore the colors, then helmet he wore, and the sword at his belt were those of Winterfell.

"Who are you?" the man insisted, gripping the hilt of his sword.

He eyed the two wolves in fright, confusion and surprise while his eyes flitted over to the girl occasionally.

"I'm here to see my brother," Evelyn replied.

The man tore his eyes away from Zinzi who looked ready to tear him to shreds, "Who is your brother?"
The girl opened her mouth to reply when a voice rang out, catching the girl's attention. "Lady Evelyn!"

The soldier and Evelyn turned to see none other than Lord Karstark walking toward them with a shocked expression on his face at the sight of Evelyn.

Evelyn smiled at the man and bowed her head, "Lord Karstark."

Harold brushed off the formalities and bowed before the girl, "the last we heard of you was that you and your sisters were prisoners in Kings Landing after your father's...."
"Yeah," Evelyn replied. "A few things have happened since then."
"Your brother and mother will be overjoyed to see you," Harold replied, smiling at the girl.

Evelyn almost smiled back when she felt another wave of nausea rush over her. Clutching her stomach and her head, she turned to Harold who immediately sensed that something was wrong.

Quickly pushing the perplexed soldier out of the way, Harold held out his arm to show Evelyn the way to Robb's tent. Both wolves ensured that neither Harold nor the other soldier came within five feet of Evelyn as the girl stumbled toward the camp.

She was just about ready to collapse from exhaustion when Harold managed to break through her barricade of wolves (curtesy of Zinzi and Lady) and tapped her shoulder to get her attention. Weakly, the girl turned her head, feeling about ready to throw up, her stomach was protesting so much when her eyes fell on a familiar sight.

A brown horse had ridden into the center of the camp surrounded by several other horses.... But the rider of the brown horse was the only one that Evelyn noticed. A head full of curly brown curls, piercing blue eyes and sharp handsome features.

"Unsaddle and water the horses," the called to his men. "Get rest tonight. We'll start back on the road tomorrow."

The man was just about to dismount when his eyes lifted and locked with Evelyn's amber ones. For a moment he stared at her, almost wondering if he was imagining it or it was another hallucination that he was often visited by in his sleep.

Slowly his eyes widened when he saw Evelyn smile back at him and he spied the two heads of dire wolves on either side of her. Finally, his mouth opened before it spread into a huge smile. He was off his horse in an instant and tearing through the crowd as fast as he could.