Chapter 16

Jaime smiled as he watched Evelyn run up and down the beach with Lady and Zinzi on her heels. The two wolves would run past her whenever she came to a stop and would tumble and roll together, obviously having no brakes. Evelyn would laugh and crouch down to their level, letting them come and rub their noses against her before she would run back to Jaime.

"Enjoying yourself?" Jaime asked, smiling as Evelyn sprinted over back to him, her cheeks flushed from running but a huge smile on her face and her amber eyes shining.

"It's so beautiful," she told him, spinning around, admiring the ocean, "I had never seen the ocean until we came here."
"Seriously?" Jaime inquired, his eyes widening, "And I thought I needed to see the world."

Evelyn playfully socked his arm, "Hey!"
Jaime chuckled before wrapping her in a hug from behind and inhaled her scent, "Are you happy here?"
Evelyn hugged his arms to her chest and turned her head to look at him sideways, "Why? Is something wrong?"
"No..." Jaime admitted, taking her hands in his, "It's just that what you told Jon about the evil of the world.... And how you're afraid of the power have.... I just... I don't want you to be unhappy with me."

Evelyn gently pulled away from Jaime before turning to face him and taking his hands, nestled them beneath her chin, "Yes I'm happy."
She slowly lifted her eyes to see the widest grin on Jaime's face which caused her to laugh. He looked like a little schoolboy looking at her with wide, happy eyes.

Chuckling, the girl released his hands before running off toward the water and going ankle deep. Zinzi and Lady followed her, barking and splashing in the water. Jaime laughed at the sight before he cut himself off. There was something... eerie. There was not a noise other than Evelyn and the wolves in the water and that was what was worrying him. It was too quiet.... But something was causing his hair to stand up on the back of his neck and the chills to hit his spine.... Something was wrong.

Jaime carefully wrapped his hand around the hilt of his sword and removed it slightly from the sheath. Did he imagine things, or did he hear footsteps?

"Evelyn!" Jaime called, forcing his voice to not sound alarmed.

The girl didn't hear him for the waves were crashing too loudly and the wolves were still barking. Jaime glanced over his shoulder and squinted his eyes. He was sure he saw something reflect the sunlight.

"EVELYN!" he yelled, sprinting toward the girl who had begun to come out of the water.

Evelyn looked up and saw Jaime sprinting at her faster than she had ever seen him run.

"Get down!" He yelled.

The girl couldn't register what he was saying for his voice was muffled. "What's wrong?"
She didn't get a reply except Jaime wrapping his arms around her and almost knocking her over.... Then his body became a dead weight.

"Jaime?" she whispered, realizing that he was leaning greatly on her and not standing up, "Jaime!"
The man's body slipped from her arms and splashed into the shallow water.... The water turning red.

"JAIME!" Evelyn screamed, dropping to her knees in the water and turning him onto his stomach... there was an arrow in his back!
"ZINZI! LADY! Get him!"
The wolves didn't need further commands, having already charged out of the water and leapt into the thicket.

"Jaime," Evelyn cried, carefully pulling the arrow out before turning him onto his back, cradling his upper body in her lap, "Jaime, stay with me! Stay with me please!"
She didn't realize tears were falling till they began to triple between her lips and off her chin, "Jaime...."
"EVELYN!" A voice yelled from the shore, causing the girl to look up.