Chapter 20: Shūmatsu

Start from the beginning

"Yes. Will you spend next weekend with me? Jia Qi and Xi Ze will be coming with us too."

She raised her eyebrows. "Oh, where to?"

"Tantou Island. We are going to watch the sunrise." He smiled. When her big eyes shone in the dark, he knew he hit jackpot again.

"Oh my God! I have been wanting to go there!" She exclaimed. "But with work and all, I could not just take leave. Is this your idea?"

Didi nodded. "I want to spend more time with you before—" he trailed off. "—I get busy again."

She nodded. "Ah, I'm going to be occupied too. Album promotions are coming up soon."

He gazed at her bright face. "You love music and you love people. Those are the best combinations for a successful singer."

She beamed. "Really? I have not heard that one before. Oh Didi, before I forget—-" she rummaged her bag and took out a small square box. "This is for you. It's NOT a ring, don't worry!" She joked.

Didi took the box and grinned. "I don't mind if you'd propose to me in future, Yue. I may be half-Japanese but I'm a liberal. Ouch!" He yelled as she swat his arm. "Need you remind me how strong you can be," he replied, rubbing his arm.

"Open the box, Didi. This is my first time buying something like this. I saw it online but it takes a week to arrive. I found this one in a small shop at Guan Qian."

There was a tinge of uncertainty in her voice that made Didi very curious about the gift. He eyed her with a lopsided smile as he removed the lid. Inside was a single angel wing earring.

"Didn't you say you are my angel?" She beamed

"Didn't you say you are my angel?" She beamed. "Do you like it?" she asked as she gazed into his eyes. They were misted. She had touched an unusual chord inside him.

For years, Wang He Di had everything his parents could ever given him. Including a new heart. He had always felt loved by his family. However, being a single child meant he spent most of his life alone.

But here for the first time, he felt loved and embraced by someone outside of his family circle. He felt special.

He took a step near her and gathered her in his arms. This tiny girl got him. He breathed in the lavender scent of her hair and felt her soft body against his. "Thank you," he rasped, holding her tight. "I like it very much."

I like you very much. Too much. So much that I want to wake up and hold you everyday like this.

She smiled against his chest. "That is good to hear. It's my first time so—" Didi sensed her body resting on his. His heart pulsed wildly as he held her, wanting the moment to freeze forever.

"Didi, I can hear your heartbeat. It's so loud." She giggled. He laughed and pulled away from her. "This is how you affect me. You know that, don't you?"