Chapter 17

ROAD TRIP!! Gotta love 'em. Anyways, on the long car ride, I started to write some more of this story. Here it goes. 

~~*~~

 Vincent tightened his grip on the wheel when he finished. His story was basically the same, but it left me with questions. Sure my dad was an angel, but so was Brooke's dad and Liam's and Lucas' father. Vince could have chased them too. What I didn't understand is Vince's side of the story. What about him? He was half demon, wasn't he? Or was he human?

There were so many things I wanted to know, but that was the most important thing. I needed to know what exactly he was. It was killing me. He was so silent about himself. Too quiet. He talked so easily with me at school. Now it was a whole different thing.

“Hey Vince,” I asked. “What are you?”

He hesitated. I understood why. It must be hard to explain something like that. Vince answered finally, “I'm sort of like you. My dad, he's human. My mom—her parents weren't very good to her. She's eternally seventeen if you will. Her soul was sold by her parents for riches. She's been seventeen for about four hundred years now. Unbelievable? Yeah, I know. She isn't proud of it—of being a demonic I mean.”

“Oh. That can happen?”

“It used to. Now it hardly ever happens. All I know is that my mom escaped one day. She was able to live on Earth for a couple of years in hiding, but she stayed seventeen. My dad was only nineteen when he met her. Greatest thing he's ever done according to him because I'm here. Dads.”

I looked to the ground. “I wouldn't know. Steve Marshall—the guy I thought was my dad—left when I was three. I never really had a dad.”

Vince stopped talking and went back to the road. Where was my rescue party? I know I made a promise, and Vince was a really nice guy, but I didn't want to be with Cairo. I wanted to stay with Zachariah and dad. I wanted them both. They were the only guys I got that didn't make me want to barf or puke. I wanted to hug them tight.

My kidnapper frowned in the mirror and pulled over once again. I watched him get out of the car and then walked to my door. He opened it and undid my ties. I stretched my wrists and rotated my ankles. This felt really good to be free. He held out his hand which I took. I could trust my kidnapper.

He lead me out of the car. Uncertain of what would happen next, I stretched very carefully. My eyes never left his cocky smile. Vince just laughed at me as I stretched my body. I smacked him playfully and got back into the car. He gave me a confused look. I smiled and shut the door. Vincent got back in and started the car.

“I expected you to take off running,” he said, but I told him, “My sister told me to keep my promises.”

He started to drive again, but this time he was a lot lighter. He was at ease, and so the tension between us was getting smaller. Actually we started talking. Not really about angels and demons. We were talking about regular life. About friends, family, school, and things we loved to do. This guy was just like any other guy.

Vince looked up to his father a lot. As in he wanted to follow his father's footsteps one day. His dad was a musician who loved spending his days writing songs, but his dad was also owned a restaurant. Vince himself was starting to be interested in the culinary arts, but music has been his passion since he was four. He got his first guitar when he was six and started the piano at five. There was so much more, but it's a pretty long list.

All I told him was that I liked leading people. I was in student council and that I'm a nature freak. Most people call me “tree hugger”, but for all the wrong reasons. I wanted the Earth all green and stuff, but I meant more of a nature lover. I loved to climb too, but I wasn't very athletic until now, but I left the wing part out. He didn't know that yet. If my rescue didn't come, my wings were plan B.