Chapter 15: Tsumetai

Start from the beginning

"Why didn't you make him stay for breakfast, Yue Yue?" Mama Wang asked, disappointed. As usual, Didi dropped her off at her house and said he would be back to get her.

Yue did not know what to say. It had been an unexpected morning.

First, she was surprised he remembered her routine. When she opened the door, he waved at her with that dashing smile and opened the car door for her before she could protest.

Then, it was the bouquet for Jackson. How did he know that she had forgotten to get it? She nodded and mumbled a thank you.

They had a good conversation in the car and when he dropped her off at Mama Wang's house, he told her he would not walk her to the door. He did not want Jackson's mom to feel offended that he was not staying for breakfast.

"He has an appointment, Mama," she lied.

"I'm not waiting for you, Yue. Please give me his phone number and I will ask him for dinner. He must try my braised pork!"

Yue looked at Mama Wang, aghast. "Why would you do that, Mama? What is it about him that you like so much?"

"What is there not to like about him? I can tell he is a good boy." she said. "Don't lie, Yue. I saw you from the window. Your face was glowing since the last time you came. And the glances you two exchanged. Baby, even from far I could feel the sparks. I can see that Didi has woven his charm over you." Mama said as she put her arm on Yue's shoulder. She sighed dreamily. "I recognized that look once too many times".

"When is Papa coming home?" Yue asked, changing the topic, hoping Mama Wang would not noticed her flushed cheeks.

"One more year. I'm happy he kept himself occupied with this new job since Jia Er passed away. It had not been easy for him."

"Neither it had been for you."

"And you, Yue. I'm always worried about you. Ever since he left, you had been alone. He only dated you less than two years but you are like my own daughter. I want you to be happy again." She sniffed.

"Mama...why are you so emotional today?" Yue asked, linking her arm around Mama Wang's.

"I don't know. Maybe his death anniversary is coming. And I miss his father too." she said, sniffing a little.

Yue nodded. Both of them had been alone and depended on each other for company.

"Mama, I promise you, I will be happy again, okay!" she said, leaning her cheek on her shoulder.

"With Wang He Di?"

Such hopefulness in her voice.

Yue blushed. "Don't tease me. It's too soon to tell."

"My daughter, use more of your heart and less of your mind when it comes to happiness. You are too complicated!" Mama Wang said, pointing a finger to her heart.

"Haven't you heard? A woman's heart is as deep as the ocean." Yue giggled.

"Beyond Suzhou, there'll be no more boat to take. Don't miss the chance, Yue." replied Mama Wang.

She always have just the right words.

"Yue, one more thing. His death was not your fault. Don't be too hard on yourself."

Yue looked into her sorrowful eyes. If she knew the full story, would she had said the same thing?

She tasted a piece dumpling. It had turned cold as they spoke. But nothing beat that cold 'winter' on a warm spring four years ago.