Chapter 36: Champions

LISA's POV

My hand is tingling again. I glanced at it and saw marks of blood underneath the gauzes and some brown parts on it too. Sht! This can't be happening. We're on our last set and we're already far behind HU scores. They are really good. I can't let this hand stop me.

I got startled when Jennie sat beside me. We had our time out. We should win the game.

2-2

And the last set's score? 32-30. We really had a hard time beating them on that last. Now? 20-13. I hate this.

"How's your hand?"

"Hm? I-It's fine."

Why does she have to ask that suddenly..

"May I see?"

"Why? It's fine.."

And she grabbed my hand. I didn't even get the chance to pull back.

"Hayoung will get in."

"No.. I can— She will get in. Manager-nim, please do something about this."

"Nini, I can still play."

She just glared at me while drinking her water. I hate this! That number 19 was still lucky I wasn't the one to hit her with the ball.

Then I heard the whistle.

"I can play, unnie."

I stood up and went inside the court. I stopped Hayoung. She looked at me and to my hand without gauzes on it.

"Lisa, I told— I will play." I cut our captain.

"I won't give the ball to you."

"Then don't."

She glared at me and turned in front.

A spike is about to hit and Sowon unnie ran towards me. I readied myself and we jumped for a block. We managed to stop it and it went back in. We scored. But the ball hit my hand. Sowon unnie noticed how I grit my teeth and she looks at our coach. I gripped her shirt tight.

"Just.. l-let me."

"It's bleeding."

"I don't care."

"You'd be force to get out of the court, Lisa."

"Just go back."

Sinb served and we focused on the game. I know Jennie keeps on glancing to my direction but I want to play. I still want to play.

Chaeng hit the ball and it went in. At least we have to follow. We're behind so much. We ran to the middle and block their spike.

"One touch!" I yelled and luckily, Jisoo unnie is ready.

It went up and went to my direction. I jumped high and hit the ball. It went in but the impact made me grip my hand. Then I heard the whistle. Hayoung is holding my number. I looked at our coach and he's glaring at me, with his veins bulging on his temple.

"You really want to abuse your hand, Lisa-ssi!? What were you thinking!?"

"I want to play!"

"There's so many other chances for that!"

"When!? This is my last year and I want to do everything to finish the game!"

"SIT DOWN!" He bursted out in anger.

"You shouldn't have done that, Lisa." Dahyun said.

"I need this, cap. You know that."

"We still have good players to finish the game."