Forty-six

A single tear slides down my face as Beastboy tenderly cleans the dried blood on my forehead

''Rae, are you okay?'' His voice holds so much genuine worry for me. ''It's okay if you are not. I'm here, alright?'' He lifts my chin up, continuing to wipe my skin, stained with scarlet splotches. ''Please, answer me.''

''I'm - I'm better,'' I stutter, ''than before.''

''Well, there's an improvement.'' He laughs weakly. ''If you need to cry, let it out, Raven. I'm going to be here for as long as you need me.'' His eyes lock with mine. ''I'll be here forever if you need me that long.''

I lean into him, letting a few lone tears fall onto the fabric of his uniform. Beastboy embraces me, gently stroking my hair, comforting me until I lean back.

''Are you okay?''

I nod. ''Thank you, Beastboy. Thank you so much.'' I pause, rubbing my eyes. ''You are always there when I need you the most. Thank you, thank you so so -''

He places a finger to my lips. ''No need to thank me, Raven. I'm just doing what any good friend would do.''

I hug him one last time. ''You can go now.''

''Are you sure?''

''I am sure. I promise.''

He stands up from the bed, walking over to the door. ''If you need me, I'll be in my room. Alright?''

I nod to him. ''Thank you.'' The door slides shut behind him as he leaves.

I sit on my bed in silence, soon wishing I asked Beastboy to stay. The feelings flood back to me after he has left. However, I ignore the fear, the sorrow, the grief and regrets growing at the pit of my stomach. Instead, I focus in on my beating heart and my shallow breathing.

Attempting to distract me from any troubling thoughts in my head, I walk over to my desk, sitting in the familiar chair, staring at myself in the mirror. I summon the towel used to clean my face, and I use it to wipe the remains of my mascara.