Thirty-six

I land on my knees, eyes still shut, each breath I inhale gradually releasing the tension I feel

''Raven?'' Beastboy's voice fills the air. ''Here.'' He holds out his hand, and I grab it, while he slowly pulls me up. I still don't open my eyes, terrified of meeting my past once again. 

''It's okay, Raven.'' He pauses. ''There's nothing here.'' 

I apprehensively open my eyes, preparing myself for the sight of the Temple of Azarath. 

But nothing is here.

Whatever buildings may lie here are swallowed up by a frigid fog, thickening by the minute. The only signs of any kind of life here are the silhouettes of what look to be trees, disguised by the mist. I can make out one single beam of light, just reaching the tip of my boots. 

''Should we go further?'' He asks, zipping up his coat. 

I nod but do not utter a word, sensing that there may be someone else here. 

I watch my feet take steps across the barren soil, travelling unusually slowly as if I have no control over my legs. Eventually, I pick up the pace, trekking further and further until the mist encompasses my body, and I become part of it. Icy tears of the fog land on my neck, sending a shiver down my spine. Beastboy clutches my hand as we enter deeper into the huge cloud. 

After a few minutes, I stop abruptly. I reach my hand out, feeling the smooth walls of some sort of building. 

''There's something here,'' I whisper. I continue to feel the architecture, suddenly aware of the change. The smooth wall changes to a different type of material, most probably some sort of wood. My hand moves downwards, detecting a handle. 

''Rae.'' Beastboy taps my arm. ''I think this is a keypad.''

''A what?'' 

A vibrant beep is heard, and I freeze hearing an unknown voice. 

''Who's there?'' 

No one speaks, but the voice repeats.

''Who's there?'' 

A single beam of light appears from overhead, dispelling a line of mist, illuminating parts of the building directly in front of me. 

The walls are made of marble and the door has a round golden handle. 

Marble and gold. The signature materials of - 

''You have reached the dimension of New Azarath. May I ask who you are?'' 

Azarath. 

''State who you are,'' I mutter, the beam of light widening until it has radiated the area Beastboy and I are standing on. 

''Garfield Logan of Earth.'' 

I keep my hood up, concealing my face. 

''Raven,'' I say my name. 

''From?'' The voice probes further. 

''Azarath. Old Azarath.'' 

The door groans open, the owner of the voice found behind it. Clad in a deep red robe along with a hood, an Azarathian Monk stands at the entrance, beckoning us inside. 

''Raven Roth, daughter of Arella?'' 

'Yes.' I answer, finding the hand of my teammate. 

''Follow me.'' 

Oh! Raven's found Azarath! If you have any questions about Azarath and the origin of how Azarath came to be, just drop a comment and I'll respond

Oh! Raven's found Azarath! If you have any questions about Azarath and the origin of how Azarath came to be, just drop a comment and I'll respond. Origins can be quite confusing. Thanks for reading this chapter!

 Thanks for reading this chapter!