Forty-two

I begin to write

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

I begin to write.

Every word flows. It flows from my brain, through my arm, to the tip of my pen.

I don't know how long I write for, but it seems like an age. Re-telling, re-thinking, re-organising. My brain whirs and whizzes despite the hangover, relieving my past that I've kept hidden for years.

From the moment I was born to today, I write every single encounter with my father.

Every single time I met him, heard him, or he had an influence on me, I put it down. The words keep coming. They flow out of me like a torrent of water, not taking a single break. My hand has a mind of its own now, digging into the deepest parts of my mind to retrieve the information I have dismissed for years. Yet, the pen carries on marking ink on the paper, long after I've stopped processing what I've been noting.

As soon as my hand puts down the pen, I slam the journal shut, and put it in the bottom of a drawer.

I take a long drink of water before I decide to finally get ready for the day. Whilst making my way to the shower, I undo my hair and grab a towel.

The constant pounding in my head resumes, but I manage to reach the shower. I undress, breathing out a sigh as the cool water hits my pale skin. I quickly wash my hair and body, summoning a towel, and dry myself before walking over to my wardrobe.

My hand aimlessly grabs some black jogging bottoms and an oversized white t-shirt with a small embroidered red heart. Next, I get dressed, and tie my hair up in a high messy bun, pinning up the loose strands of hair that are too short to reach the scrunchie. From when I cut my hair a few months ago, it has grown slightly past my shoulders but is still reasonably short.

I brush my teeth, then apply a dash of mascara, and lie on my bed, trying to suppress the horrible feeling of nausea. The aching in my head intensifies, and the familiar sensation of a migraine returns. Attempting to distract myself from the hangover, I look around my room to focus on anything other than my sickness.

My phone lights up next to me, indicating it has reached 100 per cent. I grab it, my body shuddering as I do so, opening 'Be Still', a meditation app, and I summon my earphones, plugging them into my phone, and placing the earphone buds into my ears, pressing play.

Relaxing music calms my current state as I sit up, putting my thumb and index finger together in my familiar position for meditation.

''Breathing in...'' I inhale, as my body obeys, my lungs filling with much-needed oxygen. ''Breathing out...'' I exhale, continuing the process of tranquillity and calmness.

''Hey, Raven!'' A loud voice interrupts my meditation. I ignore it, hoping whoever it is will go away. ''Raven!'' The voice insists. ''I know you are in there!''

I pause the music, taking my earphones out.

''What?'' I mutter.

''BB still isn't up and Robin's out with Star -''

''And?''

''Well, I'm bored, so do you want to play a game of chess?''

I groan, partly because I've been interrupted through my meditation, and because of the pain.

''Fine,'' I reply, getting up, opening the door to Cyborg.

''Aww yeah!'' he answers as I follow him to the common room. He sets up the game, placing all the pieces in place, and gestures towards me to make the first move. Taking a sip of water, the pounding in my head lessens, and I begin to focus in on the game.

Little chess game with Cy to pass the time, huh? If you have no idea how to play chess than I am sorry because the next chapter will contain a small description of Cyborg and Raven playing chess, so that will probably sound like absolute craziness...

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

Little chess game with Cy to pass the time, huh? If you have no idea how to play chess than I am sorry because the next chapter will contain a small description of Cyborg and Raven playing chess, so that will probably sound like absolute craziness to you. By the way, I love chess! I first learnt when I was about seven years old with my dad, and I've been playing ever since. What's your favourite board game? I also love Cluedo as well.

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.