Two

Angela reluctantly opened her eyes

Angela reluctantly opened her eyes. She remembered what had happened the night before and stared at her surroundings. She was lying in a clean fresh bed, but the room she was in was fairly empty. The floor was lined with a thin white rug, and the only objects in the room were the bed she was lying in and a small cup filled with water.

Was she dead? 

The question repeated itself in her mind. Was this it? Is this how you die? Was this heaven? Or even hell?

She shuddered at the thought of this being hell because then Trigon could surely get to her. Her hands and legs twitched of the fear of the demonic monster coming closer to her. She concentrated on her breathing as she gazed out of the window. 

The skies were a light green mixed with streaks of pastel blue. The clouds were thin and crimson coloured. The sky reminded her of a painting - the sort that didn't depict anything, like an abstract drawing. 

As she sat up, Angela could see the streets of this town or city she was in. The pavement was marble and the buildings looked like masterpieces. They were mostly white but occasionally had columns of gold lining the walls.

Heaven is beautiful, she thought. It can't be hell, this place is too perfect. 

She shuffled to the side of the bed, so her foot could touch the marble floor. Then, she stared at the door for some time and took a sip from the water. 

''Hello?'' Angela called out and was surprised to hear her own voice out loud. ''Where am I?'' 

She hauled herself up and stood by the window. The streets were bustling full of different people. They looked so calm and peaceful in their faces, and she even waved at a few of them. They took no notice of her, possibly because the window might be dark on the other side.

Angela was too absorbed in this new world to hear the door swing open.

''Angela Roth?'' a voice called out to her, interrupting her thoughts.

Angela turned to the direction of her name, and an old woman stood there. She had long white hair, and a red robe, the colour of the crimson clouds, was strewn around her tall thin figure.

''Yes?'' Angela replied to this woman. ''Where am I?'' she added, very confused about what had occurred the previous night before.

''You are in Azarath. The parallel dimension to Earth,'' the woman answered. ''I am Azar, the ruler of this dimension.'' 

Angela stared at this woman known as ''Azar'', and began to think she was having a weird dream before ascending into the afterlife. Maybe she was still alive and was in the process of dying.

Azar continued. ''I have saved you from your fate. Your daughter must be kept alive at all costs.''

Angela became more bewildered as the woman continued, explaining many things difficult to understand. 

''Your daughter is going to achieve great things,'' she paused, letting the information soak in. ''She will be our only chance to defeat Trigon.''

''Trigon?'' 

At the mention of his name, her mind wandered back to the daunting past, back to the horrible memories she had worked hard to bury. Even at the single mention of his name, all the nightmares bubbled to the surface.

She could taste the bile creeping its way up her throat. Azar sensed this and thrust a bowl into her hands. 

Her insides churned as the vomit was released, and Angela shook violently and took a deep breath, trying to bury the memories once again.

''Your baby will be born soon, and she will be taught by the Azarathian Monks to control her emotions and powers.'' Azar wasted no time to tell her what her plan was. ''We must change your name, and the citizens will make a home available for you.'' 

With a nod of her head, Angela stood up, following the lady in the red cloak.

Hey guys! It's me again. Hope you liked this chapter. Just a note, I do not own any origin stories used in this book. Thanks for reading!