Twenty-six

I wake up suddenly, my eyes quickly adjusting to the darkness in my room

I wake up suddenly, my eyes quickly adjusting to the darkness in my room. I can hear the voices of my teammates down the hall and the impatient knocking of someone outside my door. 

''Raven?''

''Yeah?'' I respond, rubbing my eyes, attempting to move towards the door. 

''It's Robin. Are you alright? It's 1 pm, and you never sleep this late. Even Beastboy's up. Are you just reading or somethi-''

''Oh, Azar!'' I mutter under my breath, slipping my feet into my slippers and summoning my dressing gown hanging on the back of my door. ''I'll be ready in a bit,'' I reply to the voice coming from outside my door. 

''Don't worry, take all the time you need. The city's been quiet for the past two days, so you can stay in if you want.'' 

''Okay.'' I respond, groggily making my way towards my wardrobe. 

Robin walks off and I conjure up an outfit for the day: black leggings and an oversized pink hoodie with a white star stitched on the pale coloured fabric. Normally this would never even be in my wardrobe, but it was a gift from Starfire, and I would not want to disappoint her by throwing it out or leaving it to wither in the back of my closet.

I move over to my desk, scraping my hair back into a high ponytail, adding a light grey scrunchie to complete my messy bun. After applying a dash of mascara and blush, I lie down on my bed once more, staring up at the ceiling, left in the world of my thoughts. 

Unfortunately, my quiet world is disrupted by the words of my father. After all this time, he still finds a way to return. 

''Raven...''

I shut my eyes, concentrating on a song I had heard the night before in the bar. I try to remember one of the verses when my mind floods with the memory of a man with blond hair and brown eyes. What was his name?

''Raven, listen to me!''

Noah! That was it. Didn't he give me something? I look around my room, seeing the black bag on the floor, and I seize a note out of the side pocket, a number scribbled onto it in blue ink. I try to focus on the digits, summoning my phone from the bedside table, when the shout of Trigon snaps me back into the realm of my deepest fears. 

''Don't get distracted by other unimportant feeble things in life! You may have had one good time, but it's all going to go downhill once more, Raven.''

A vision of me kneeling beside Ariel's dead body flashes before my eyes and the screams of myself is all I can hear. 

''I caused her death! I killed my best friend!'' The same phrases repeat over and over in the vision until it all stops. 

Only his voice remains. 

''Ariel has been wishing for you lately.''

I freeze dropping all the items on the floor as her name is spoken aloud. The tears I have been holding in for the majority of these nightmares burst out, sadness engulfing the hope that last night gave me, that Noah gave me, that one chance, that one feeling, that made me believe I was going to get better. 

''And don't think that a wish is always good. Ariel's wishes are quite the opposite.'' He pauses, knowing that what he is saying needs time to be absorbed. ''And I promised her they would come true. They have to come true, right?''

I wait for the next thing.

''Especially if the murderer is unpunished.''

And with that, silence fills the room, only the delicate beating of my heart can be heard, and the soft dripping of a few lone tears.

Thank you so much for reading, guys! Thank you for all the votes and comments

Thank you so much for reading, guys! Thank you for all the votes and comments. Your support is golden.

 Your support is golden