"Harry may be confusing at times," Barbara finally says, her tone caring, just like Anne's. "But when you're in love, sometimes you do things that don't make any sense."

"Love?" The simple mention of the word frightens me, and I'm slightly mad at myself for it. I no longer want to carry around this absurd fear of the word.

"He didn't tell you who it was?" She asks, and I assume she must have not heard me say the word. I shake my head from side to side. "I wonder who it could be then," she pouts her bottom lip.

"Me too," I say, reimagining Harry's fallen face in my head. "He looked really annoyed for some reason."

"That's not like him though," her face fills with consternation and I agree, knowing how unusually quickly his mood changed. "Oh..."

Oh what? Does she know something?

"I think I might know who it was," she doesn't sound too thrilled figuring who it might have been. And for some reason, I'm nervous to hear the answer.

"Who?" I prod.

Barbara emits a doubtful look before she removes herself from behind the counter to sit in one of the nearest wooden chairs. I remain standing, keeping my gaze fixed on her, waiting to hear the answer.

"It might have been his father."

Father?

Robin? Or Des?

It only makes sense if it is Des. But we certainly don't know if it really is him. It's a stab in the dark.

"Des?" I ask for reassurance. Barbara finally makes eye contact with me, not confirming nor denying my question. Her gaze hints a faint sadness, maybe even regret. She stands to her feet, her head falling as she reaches for one of my hands. Her calloused hands are warm, comforting even as both of her hands wrap around mine.

"I know we've only just met each other. And maybe it's not Anne's place to say it, but I beg of you, as someone who is like a second mother to Harry, being with him is going to be really hard."

"I know." I try to lighten the serious mood with a smile. Why do people keep doing this to me?

Alice did. Now Barbara. I guess they really care about Harry and whoever he chooses to be with. It kind of offends me that they don't have any faith in me. That they don't have any faith in our relationship. 

Is it unfair that I'm feeling this way?   

Maybe...

"Harder than any other relationship you've ever had." She gives my hand a gentle squeeze.

"I'm not going to leave Harry. But what does this have to with Des?" I ask, completely lost in the conversation. Why is she suddenly talking about this?

"Des .. is a man of many troubles," she explains in a mournful tone. "He calls Harry whenever he's in some sort of dilemma. Whether it be financial or with the law, Harry is always the one to save him. Do you not know this Elaine?"

I shake my head slowly. I don't know a thing about Harry's father. I don't know a thing about Harry's life behind closed doors. He's never once told me the troubles his dad has put him through or what his life was like .. I think back to when I assumed Harry didn't tell me personal things about himself because he didn't trust me, or he didn't feel the need to since he didn't consider us a long-term thing. But he came back .. so every bit of that assumption has left me.

"I know I called Harry stubborn earlier, but he's not when it comes to his family. But I don't know how Harry is not tired of it yet. Even if he is, he'll never show it," she sighs. "Rumor has it, he did something really awful this time."