"So." I take a short step toward her in attempt to intimidate an answer out of her. Her expression remains stagnant, resisting to fall back. "Umm. Bubble Wrap, how do you know Niall?"

Of course it is suspicious how a random girl could make it to the footstep of Horan's home. He's a nice guy, and I don't want someone, especially someone out of our circle, to break his heart.

"We met at the golf range. Why?" At least she's being honest.

"No reason, but I do have a few more questions for you later."

Her flummoxed face is even more humorous than I pictured as I wander off into the other room where the guests were. She doesn't follow right away which again, irritates me. Usually that tactic would work. She's .. very out of the ordinary.

And I'm not going to lie, the fact that she was not coming to ask me why I had questions for her, kind of bruised my ego. She was supposed to follow me. It has worked before.

I'm completely at my wit's ends as I stop by the bar and order myself a shot of tequila. The golden liquid rushes down my throat smoothly, a subtle burn proceeding quickly after.

"Can I get a Sprite please?"

I turn my head to observe who it is. It turns out to be Bubble Wrap's friend from earlier. He nods and smiles politely to greet me.

"Is Bubble-I mean, Elaine, your friend?" I ask him. He furrows his brows in wonderment to who I am referring to. Either that or that I am initiating conversation.

"Ellie?"

So he can call her Ellie but not me?  

"Yeah," I say casually, trying to act interested but not too interested at the same time.

"She's a friend of mine, yes."

I don't know why I feel a rush of relief once he confirms the extent of their relationship.

"How long have you two known each other?"

"We've known each other for about four years." I suppose since he's known her longer, it would make sense as to why she would allow him to call her by that name.

"I know it's not any of my business, but do you have feelings for her?"

I'm not surprised at his surprised reaction. I might be a little blunt and out of line, but it's a valid question. The bartender returns with his Sprite, and it's obvious that he is underage. He doesn't look like it since his build is very tall, but my assumptions are almost always accurate.

"No, I can't," he answers. "I don't want to lose our friendship. And yes, it is none of your business."

"I understand," I say. "If it's not too much to ask, how did you meet?"

He's probably wondering why I'm asking him for so much information, but he doesn't have the heart to refuse my questions. He begins telling me their story - high school, friends, boyfriends. He doesn't reveal much about her past relationship, only telling me that things didn't end on the greatest of terms. Marco warns me never to mention it to her which I agree to. I don't think it'd be likely for us to run in the same circles again after tonight.

From the corner of my eye, on the other side of the dimly lighted room, I see Niall approach her. Her red stained lips widen from ear to ear at the mere sight of him.

A prickling sensation pummels in my chest as I force myself to look away from them. What is going on with me?

"She's such a strong person," Marco's words reel me back. "I know she may come off as presumptuous and insensitive at first but once you really get to know her, see her true self, you'll be surprised at how considerate and kind she is."