45.

"Would it be alright if I slept in the guest room?" I ask Anne. Ever since Harry left, the issue of where I would sleep tonight has been a bothersome thought.

"Oh dear. Elaine, please, don't worry about that. I don't mind if you share a room together," Anne says politely.

"Uh, well .. I don't think it'd very suitable of us to .. When we're in your home .. besides, I'm used to sleeping alone."

"Elaine, you don't have to worry about me," she says, as she turns off of faucet after she rinses the last dish. She turns to face me, another one of her comforting smiles attempting to appease me. "I know what happens between a man and a woman in a relationship. I wouldn't be offended at all if you shared a room with my son."

"Still, I don't feel it's appropriate..."

"I'm not going to judge you," she tells me softly, placing her hand on my shoulder gently . "If that's what you're afraid of...I trust Harry's judgment. Ever since he's gone off into the big world, since he's become you know, who he is, he's very aware of who he surrounds himself with. I know that whoever my son chooses to be with, that person is a good person," she lightens the mood with another one of her radiant smiles and I barely manage one back.

I'm a good person?

If only she knew what I said to her son. She wouldn't think of me the same.

Harry is just like his mother. Not only are their smiles similar. They see the good in everybody. How can do they do that without question?

Trust someone they hardly know. It's so hard for me to have the confidence to trust someone.

I remember Harry telling me he trusted me when we barely even knew each other. I thought he was absolutely foolish. But really, I admired it. I envied that hopeful feeling. I wish I could put my trust in someone and not have to worry about being betrayed, being left behind. But after my previous experiences, I don't even know the first step in setting my faith in someone.

"Thank you for being respectful," she pauses. "The guest room is right across from Harry's."

"Thank you, Anne."

"Of course. I want to make sure you're comfortable here. Now scurry along and get ready for bed. You must be drained from all that traveling."

I nod with a grateful smile and bid Anne good night. As I walk past the clock in the foyer, I notice that it's been almost two hours since Harry's left. Where could he be? What could've possibly made him leave so urgently?

It's past one in the morning, and Harry still hasn't returned. He said he would be back before midnight. I know he's more than capable of taking care of himself, and he's old enough not to have a curfew. But it's still unnerving of him to promise something and then fail to go through with it.

Back by midnight ... Liar ...

Like I'm one to talk ...

As I'm lying by myself in the dark, I have the urge to look at my phone. Just in case Marco calls or something. I haven't talked to him in a long time it feels. 

I reach underneath my pillow for my phone. I turn it on, the bright light from the screen causing me to squint.

My gaze stops at the phone button on the screen, noticing the 2 notifications. I remember that Harry had left me two voicemails that one night.

I want to listen to them ... But I can't. I shouldn't.

They're not even necessary anymore.

Screw it.  I hold my breath while screwing one eye shut as I quickly tap the play button.