Chapter Twenty-Eight

Creeping down the stairs, I press my finger to my lips and nod towards my parents who are asleep together on the couch. Carter nods and gestures for me to hurry, so I quickly jog down the stairs, holding my boots in hand until I'm out the front door. Bouncing around on freezing feet, we both quickly pull on our boots and put distance between ourselves and the house before we speak.

"Do you really need to do this?" Carter sighs, his breath visible.

I nod firmly, "I just have a feeling. Plus, I want to ask Rene about that box."

He deadpans and bumps me lightly with his shoulder, "We both know who it is, I don't know why you're so determined to play stupid."

My cheeks burn and I try to tell myself it's just because of the cold air hitting them. All I can think about are those words I swear Reed was about to say, the words I cut off because I was afraid. I was so shocked by what happened that my fight or flight had kicked in and boy did I run. 

Now that I'm in a calmer head space though and I've come to terms with who I am and my situation, I see that I reacted poorly. I threw up all my walls right in Reed's face when he only wanted to be there for me. I never even tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, I never gave it to anyone, I've assumed the worst from the very beginning and I realize now how unfair I've been. I even thought poorly of my father, but he proved me wrong. 

Maybe things can still go wrong, or at least not in my favour, but things will never go anywhere if I just keep running away. If I keep burying myself under all these lies, all that will come of it is suffocation. My hand drifts mindlessly to my ribs that hurt much less than they did a few weeks ago and almost laugh at how stunningly stupid I've been. 

"Do you have a key?" Carter asks as we arrive at our destination.

I smile and just press the buzzer before backing up  to shout up at the balcony, "Rene! It's Theo, let me in!"

The glass door slides open with a slam and a moody, half asleep looking Rene stumbles out into the cold air, "Who the fu--Theo? Theo! Oh, hunny, get up here!"

The buzzer that indicates she's unlocked the door echoes in the quiet night air and we hurry inside and up the stairs to her apartment where she quickly ushers us in before hauling me into a tight embrace, her hand holding the back of my head like I'm something precious and I sigh, letting myself feel at ease.

"You worried me sick," She sighs in relief, pushing me back to look me over. "How are the ribs?"

I smile crookedly, shrugging, "Broken."

She clicks her tongue at my answer and I can't help but laugh, "But, they're healing well."

"Good, at least you're up and about. Is that why I haven't heard from you?" She questions as we make our way into the living room, Rene departing into the kitchen to likely put on tea.

I just watch her move about in her kitchen, "No, I've been on house arrest."

"Because of your ribs?" She asks perplexed, not looking up at me.

"Because I came out to my parents," I state, surprised by how strange it feels still to say those words.

I jump at the sound of something dropping, my gaze going to the broken mug by Rene's feet that she stumbles away from, telling me to stay back. "Jesus, you what!?"

I nod, shrugging timidly, "It didn't really go well, mostly with my mom. She's not letting anyone near me right now."

Rene looks to Carter in disbelief and he nods grimly, "Lane can't even come over to see me. I have to leave the house to see people. Theo can only go to church if he wants to leave the house, although up until now he's been forced to stay in bed for most of the day."