Chapter Fourteen

.

"What on earth?" Violet gasps as the boys help me into the house, setting me down on the couch in the living room. "What happened?"

Reed ignores her, walking out to grab some ice, so I decide to fill her in, "I have some solid advice; don't play basketball in heeled booties. You will die."

Carter deadpans at my morbid humour, shaking his head while pushing my pant leg up and pulling off my sock. The ankle is a little bruised and swollen, but not horribly so. I'll be fine after a week max, but man walking around is going to suck until it heals up. If dad notices he'll probably insist I use my old crutches again, and that is definitely something I'd like to avoid.

"In other words, he's a hazard," Carter grumbles.

I wave my hands around in panic, looking over my shoulder for Reed," Mind not saying that so loud?"

Violet sighs, plopping down next to me, "You really should tell him, though. I don't want to pressure you, but last night he wouldn't shut up about Theo. Actually, he never shuts up about Theo."

"What about, Theo?" Reed asks, looking suspicious and he makes his way to me, gently pressing the icepack to my inflamed ankle.

"Oh, just about how you have a massive crush on him," Violet says as simply as if she were talking about the weather.

I have to resist laughing when Reed sputters, looking back and forth between me and his sister, "Wow, V. Thanks for outing me to someone I've literally just gotten to know."

I shrug, deciding this might be a good time to show understanding, so maybe just maybe I'll get the same in return some day, "Don't worry about it. I kind of had a feeling anyway... I saw you with that boy at school."

A hot blush streaks across Reed's cheeks at that, "I didn't realize I was being so obvious."

"You weren't, I'm just really good at reading people," I say with a small smile, feeling my heart pound as he looks up at me funny for a second. "So, uhm. This Theo. Is that who I saw you with?"

I hope and pray that what I've said distracts him from whatever he may or may not have noticed in me, and have to stiffen to the point I feel my muscles aching just to hide how badly I'm trembling with anxiety. What did I do wrong? Was it what I said? Something in how I spoke? Have I said something similar before? Is he noticing similar mannerisms? What!? He keeps getting that look, and it's not going to be long before he figures it out.

Just before I can go into full blown panic, he smiles to himself and shakes his head, "Nah. That's Jeremy, he's just a friend at this point. Theo's... somebody else."

"Aka, the boy of Reed's fantasies," Violet tacks on teasingly.

Reed shoots a glare at his little sister, "I'm this close to making you walk home from dance every day for a month."

"Like you would," She rolls her eyes at him, turning to me. "The guy is all bark and no bite."

"Enough of about me," Reed grumbles, finishing up tending to my ankle. "I saw that little scene in the cafeteria today."

Reed winks at me playfully, making me freeze on the spot as Carter awkwardly steps back, while Violet turns on me completely, "What happened in the cafeteria?"

Trying not to wince, I turn awkwardly towards the usually sweet girl who now has accusing eyes as I try to calmly explain myself, "My ex kind of asked me out."

"Kind of!?" Reed exclaims, poking me in the ribs. "V, it was adorable. The guy all out sang to her in front of everyone and practically begged her for another chance. Seems he was a dick, but honestly, if a guy went to that much trouble for me, I'd probably agree to go out with him, too."