Chapter Five

*picture is violet*

I watch the city pass me by as I stare out the window in boredom. It's only when I see us pass the turn off to the little suburb where my parents house resides. I glance back at the street sign and whip back around to glare at Rick.

"I told you to take me home," I growl in annoyance.

He winces a little as he places a cigarette between his lips and lights it, driving with one hand as he uses the other to hold the smoke, flicking ash out his open window. "Sorry, but I really want to talk to you and you wouldn't have given me the time of day otherwise. Just hear me out and I'll take you right home after. Okay?"

I make a sound of disgust, slumping down in my seat, "I don't want to hear it. You screwed up, end of story. Pull over, I'll just walk."

He ignores me of course, and I find myself having no choice but to sit tight until we get wherever he's bringing me. Turns out I don't have to wait that long as he pulls over and parks behind some little convenience store. Neither of us moves for a few minutes, and I feel my anger start to waver as I feel the pain from the memories of what he did last spring poke at my heart.

"You're right, I did screw up. You're the best thing that's happened to me, and I panicked and took you for granted. I know you'll probably never forgive me for what I did-"

"Damn straight I won't," I grumble, refusing to look at him still.

He sighs, bringing the cig to his lips for a moment before blowing the puff of smoke out the window, "I have no right to, but I really want a second chance. A chance to prove I still care."

"Oh, hell no!" I scoff, turning to face him now, anger returning full tilt. "You may have played me once, but I'm not going through that again. Rick, I loved you. Do you get that? When things started getting hard, I asked you if you were unhappy and wanted out and you said you wanted to work through it. Work through it my ass."

"I really did want to-"

"So, was your dick getting sucked by that exchange student at Mel's party working through it? Was having me walk in on you about to fuck her brains out supposed to woo me and make everything between us better?" I snap, shaking my head as I shove open the truck door.

I don't care how long of a walk it is, or how much my feet will kill me by the time I get home. There is no way in hell I'm sitting in that truck with that cheating scum for another second. He could rot for all I care. I don't care how hot he is, or how I miss the taste of his lips; a faint mix of tobacco and peppermint. I'd get over it. I don't care if he is literally the embodiment of your cliché 'rebel' child, and his dark brooding stare can still send chills down my spine. He can be as attractive and charming as he likes, I'm so beyond done. He can go manipulate any of the girls desperate for him at our school, but I'm done vying for his attention.

"Theresa! I'm going to change your mind. I'm going to prove it to you that I can be better," He calls after me.

I decide he's not worth wasting my breath, so without looking back, I just lift my hand to give him a single rude gesture.

Slamming the front door in my lingering rage, I kick off my shoes and start making my way upstairs, but my mother's voice halts me, making me grit my teeth and turn towards her stiffly.

"Did you get the bread?" My mom asks, not even asking why I'm twenty minutes later than normal.

Groaning, I slump against the stair railing, "No, I forgot."