Chapter Nine

*Carter above*

On the way home, my mind being so overwhelmed with horrifying thoughts, no one could get through to me. Not to find out what's wrong, how to get back to the little suburb from downtown. Which is exactly why I didn't notice Liam giving Reed our actual address until we were pulling onto the street and a strange expression made it's way onto his face.

I open my mouth to ask what's wrong, thinking maybe he was close to seeing through me again, but Liam's voice cuts me off, "Theresa... it's Carter."

Instantly, my concern for myself and Reed and our whole screwed up situation flees my mind as I whip around and see none other than Carter sitting on my front doorstep, face red with tears as he buries his head in his arms.

"Carter," I whisper, heart shattering in my chest. "Reed, I have to go. I'll explain next time I see you, but I really need to go. Thank you so much for the ride and today. Nice seeing you, Violet!"

With that, I haul ass out of that car and find myself running up to Carter, instantly dropping down in front of him and with one look at his tear-stained face, pull him into a much needed hug. His sobs are muffled by my shirt, but even then they shake me to my core. I don't know what has happened, and now I don't know if I want to know. If I'm ready to know.

"Hush," I try to soothe, rubbing his back. "Let's get you up to my room, we'll have tea and talk."

"Is he okay? Carter, are you okay? What's happened?" Liam huffs, appearing at my side.

I shake my head at him as Carter just buries himself further into my shoulder, "Lee, go tell mom I'll take care of him for now. Can you ask her to put on tea for us?"

He nods, happy to have a job that'll help, and rushes into the house. I on the other hand wrap one arm around Carter and am about to pull him to his feet when he yanks me back, looking up into my face finally with desperate eyes, "Please. I can't go in there right n-now. Reesy, I-I can't... just sit with me."

I look back to see Reed's car gone, so I give up trying to move him into the much warmer house and take a seat next to him, letting him rest his head on my shoulder.

"Who was that?" He asks quietly.

I know he's trying to distract me, not wanting to talk about the real issue, and I know I shouldn't let him hide from everything because he has to deal with it eventually, but I can't help but give in and play along with his attempt at regular conversation.

"His name is Reed. He's... long story short, I'm an idiot," I sigh, staring at the now empty street.

"What did you do?" He says with a weak laugh, nudging me. "Did he finally find out about your secret love for Lane?"

I roll my eyes, "One: you know that's complete bullshit, and two... it's more like he doesn't exactly know who I am."

He pulls back, looking confused, "Who you are? I don't follow."

I groan, falling back and staring up at the light that hangs above our front door, "Must we talk about it now? You just got here. I thought this was about you, how did the spotlight turn on me?"

He sniffs, wiping at his eyes in frustration, "I'll tell you everything when I know I'll be able to get through the story. Your mom didn't expect me to show up so suddenly, and I haven't told anyone what's going on yet. Just... tell me what's up with you, and then I'll tell you what's up with me. Please don't treat me with pity or act like you can fix my problems. Let's just do what we used to. Vent out our crap and then work through it side by side and cause trouble in our spare time."