Chapter Nineteen

By the time Reed's car pulls up outside my parents house, I'm half way to being sober, but almost yearn for the numbness to return. I tried to tell Reed I'd walk, but he pushed and pushed to drive me where I needed to go, and knowing Carter was falling apart more with every passing second, I just didn't have time to care about the risk of Reed putting two and two together.

"Do you want me to wait around, or come in even?" Reed questions, looking concerned as he stares at my front door, the porch light on now that the sun has set.

I shake my head, wanting him gone so at least one worry would be lifted from my shoulders. My hands shake as I try to gather the courage to step out of the vehicle and face my family. I didn't have time to go change, not with Reed insisting he drive me, and I know walking in there like this will do nothing good for my relationship with my mother, but Carter is in there. Carter is what matters and my problems need to take a backseat this time.

Taking a deep breath, I lean across the seat and plant a chaste kiss on Reed's cheek and speak low, "Thanks for this, it means a lot. I'm sorry... for everything."

"Theo... just take care of Carter and promise you'll call me. I want to talk to you more about... everything," He pleads, looking nervous that once I get out, I'll never speak to him again.

I wish I could make it that simple, but I know myself better than that.

"I promise," I whisper, not meeting his gaze anymore as I open the door. "I'll tell you everything soon, just be patient a little longer."

He goes to speak, but I get out and close the door, walking up to the front door without looking back. I consider just walking into my house, but with Reed's car still idling in the driveway I worry that it will look strange, so I opt to knock. I'm thankful that Reed pulls away before the door opens, because I begin to fidget nervously, my stomach twisting painfully as my nerves begin to eat away at me. I'm terrified, I realize. There's something I'm about to hear and I know it's nothing good. Nothing good is going to happen the second I step inside this house again, but there's no way I can run away this time. 

The door opens, and my father looks confused for a moment as he looks down at me, "Hello?"

My cheeks turn scarlet as I lift a trembling hand to pull the hat away, letting my hair fall upon my shoulders. "It's me, dad. Is Carter... where is he?"

Dad's eyes widen in confusion as he steps back suddenly, ushering me in and pulling me into a tight hug, "You worried us sick, Theresa!"

My heart slows after the initial surprise, a sad sigh leaving my lips as I carefully hug my dad back, feeling guilt pool into my heart. My mother and I might be at odds, but my father is a good man. Someone who has never made me feel like anything less than his beloved daughter, even if I wish he's stand up to my mother more for my sake, but I truly understand why he doesn't. My mother is a stubborn woman, and like many who know her, it becomes tiresome to try and argue against her once she's made up her mind about something.

"Theresa? Is Theresa here!?" My mother's voice sounds, footsteps rushing in before coming to a halt. "What on earth?"

Pulling away from dad, I look up and my heart sinks when I notice how red and puffy my mom's eyes are, the tears still brimming in her eyes so similar to my own. She's a horrible person sometimes, and she hurts me endlessly, but I just can't help but ache at the sight of my mother in tears. 

"Mom... where's Carter?" I ask firmly, trying to imply the fact I'm here for him and only him.

"Theresa, where the hell have you been!?" She shrieks, tears spilling over freely as she ignores my question. "Do you know how worried we've been!? You make a fool of me and storm out, not telling us anything about where you were staying or who with! Now, you come back dressed like a... a dyke! What the fuck is happening to you?"